your opinion on garmin etrex legend?

bluz

i first had a Venture and loved it. w/ the $50 rebate i decided to get the Legend since it has the base road maps. i like it just as much. the only downside i've seen, depending on detail you have setup, it can take a few seconds to draw all the roads. not a terrible amount of time, but just noticable.

I bought the GPS Unit not knowing anything about it. Overall, I'm very pleased with the unit. I pruchased MapSource Topo so I could put the memory to some use. icon_smile.gif

Some complaints I have is that map refresh is slow, as mentioned by FuziDave. The reception of the unit isn't the greatest when I dont have a clear view of the sky. WAAS is pretty much useless for me. I also hate the sparkly blue color of the unit. I wish I could change covers.

However, Garmins support for the unit has been exceptional. They've come out with many updates since I bought the unit. The Etrex is very portable... this is a huge plus. Lastly, it managed to get me to every cache so far.

-Minex

bluz,

I duck hunt and fish (saltwater inshore and offshore). I had a Venture but recently upgraded to a Legend. The Legend is perfect for me.

I even find the Calendar, Sun and Moon and best hunting and fishing times very useful in planning my hunting and fishing trips.

I can not even complian about signal strength since I always get good reception when I'm on the water.

quote:
I even find the Calendar, Sun and Moon and best hunting and fishing times very useful in planning my hunting and fishing trips.

I have that feature on my Vista. How reliable is the fishing/hunting times. Frankly I thought it "too" convenient to actually work. Does it?

Also, do you know when they're coming out with the feature for the best time to find blondes? icon_wink.gif

ALan

I've gone through several units and find that for handheld use, my Legend is my favorite. I tend to cache only when things are slow, but try and hike at least 500 miles a year. For the trip computer, tracklogs, and navigation on the move, the Legend, or Vista rule. I like them quite a bit better than my next favorite, which is my GIII+, with my sportrak being my choice after that.

For some of my ramblings on the Legend check out:

http://searching_ut.home.sprynet.com

I got my eTrex Venture a couple months ago and it comes with hunting/fishing calendar and WAAS. It also comes with a cable to connect it to your computer. You will need a cover that makes it float no matter what you get even though it is water-resistant so you don't lose it slapping mosquitos while fishing. I think the Venture is just peachy.

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

I have that feature on my Vista. How reliable is the fishing/hunting times. Frankly I thought it "too" convenient to actually work. Does it?

Also, do you know when they're coming out with the feature for the best time to find blondes? icon_wink.gif

ALan

It's already there. That's what the "Hunt and fish" really means!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Anders

The best hunting and fishing times is great for predicting deer movements.

Duck hunting is best when the best hunting time coincides with sunrise.

I fish saltwater so I've found the tides to be a better indicator of the best fishing times. However, I'm sure that there's a direct correlation between tides and the predicted best times. I’ve just never bothered to try to figure out what it is.

Ihave an e-trex venture and it work's fine. i bought it for geocaching. what i'm curious about is whether other reciever's are more sensitive, that is to say will one pick up a stronger signal than the other under the same condition's. the reason i ask is while out caching the other day in medium to heavy tree cover my gps would be pointing in one direction telling me i'm getting closer then all of a sudden it would swing back the other way and it had me going in circle's. there was someone there with a differant type of unit and i ask them if they were getting good reception they repled yes as they walked straight to the cache on the first attempt.

I own both a Magellan 310 and a Garmin eTrex Venture. I find that the Venture is more feature rich and provides much better information as long as it can find a signal, but it loses signal much much more frequently than the lower cost Magellan unit. I had the Magellan unit first and I had purchased the Garmin as an upgrade, but this unit is not performing nearly as well as I had hoped.