Garmin eTrex or Magellan...?

Readymixer

quote:
Originally posted by Readymixer:

For a beginner, will I be better off to purchase a Garmin eTrex product or a Magellan SportTrak product? Any advice is appreciated.

Randy

The major difference in the units is the antenna. Using the antenna to its best function requires you to hold the unit in a certain position. So the question then becomes "How do you want to hold/carry the unit?"

The E-Trex uses a PATCH antenna. It works best when in a horizontal plane to the earth. Acording to the way it is mounted in the E-Trex, this unit works best then held flat horizontal, with the display facing up.

The Magellan uses a QUADRAFILIAR HELIX antenna. It works best then held in a vertical position.

So.... do you hold your GPS right in front of your face, like a walkie-talkie? If so, the Magellan might be your best choice. Do you hold it out in front of you, flat in the palm of your hand? If so, maybe the E-Trex is right for you.

I made up a carry case for my unit that sits on top of the shoulder strap of my backpack. Because of the way it sits, I chose the Garmin E-Trex Venture. But then, I live in the desert. The few times I have been in tree cover, I have not had any problems with satellite signal.

Because of this, my information might not help you at all. I recommend you do as we do when someone asks for help selecting a handgun. Let them try a bunch of them. On will shoot right. Find someone with one of each. Try them both, in your area. One will "shoot right" for you, and that is what you should get. Not much help... huh? icon_confused.gif

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Seventeen minutes after her FIRST call for help, police officers arrived to find Ronyale White dead.

Prohibiting self defense is the ultimate crime. Police carry guns to protect themselves. What protects YOU ???

quote:
Originally posted by Readymixer:

For a beginner, will I be better off to purchase a Garmin eTrex product or a Magellan SportTrak product? Any advice is appreciated.

Randy

The major difference in the units is the antenna. Using the antenna to its best function requires you to hold the unit in a certain position. So the question then becomes "How do you want to hold/carry the unit?"

The E-Trex uses a PATCH antenna. It works best when in a horizontal plane to the earth. Acording to the way it is mounted in the E-Trex, this unit works best then held flat horizontal, with the display facing up.

The Magellan uses a QUADRAFILIAR HELIX antenna. It works best then held in a vertical position.

So.... do you hold your GPS right in front of your face, like a walkie-talkie? If so, the Magellan might be your best choice. Do you hold it out in front of you, flat in the palm of your hand? If so, maybe the E-Trex is right for you.

I made up a carry case for my unit that sits on top of the shoulder strap of my backpack. Because of the way it sits, I chose the Garmin E-Trex Venture. But then, I live in the desert. The few times I have been in tree cover, I have not had any problems with satellite signal.

Because of this, my information might not help you at all. I recommend you do as we do when someone asks for help selecting a handgun. Let them try a bunch of them. On will shoot right. Find someone with one of each. Try them both, in your area. One will "shoot right" for you, and that is what you should get. Not much help... huh? icon_confused.gif

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Seventeen minutes after her FIRST call for help, police officers arrived to find Ronyale White dead.

Prohibiting self defense is the ultimate crime. Police carry guns to protect themselves. What protects YOU ???

Readymixer,

You might was well ask if you should date blondes or redheads. It's a personal decision. If you pick wrong the first time, you're only out a few dollars. Thank goodness for ebay.com.

I have a friend that always says the following formula for happiness:

Date Blondes,

Marry Brunettes,

Fool-around with Redheads.

I think this only works if the Burnette in line 2 doesn't own a gun.

This something I posted in another thread, hope it helps.

I purchased a SporTrak Pro and a Garmin eTrex Vista (with the intention of returning one). It seems that Garmin and Magellan both have very adamant camps, so it was hard for me to decide which unit to buy. I figured using both would be the best way to decide. From my experience I prefer the SporTrak Pro. Why? Accuracy (3-6 ft. of target), satellite tracking (picks up and holds signal in dense tree cover, even in the house!), and averaging function. Garmin definitely has the “cooler” and smaller unit, but I was consistently and substantially of the mark. I lost satellite reception with the Vista in minimal tree coverage. I’m sure this has been debated in many other forums or threads.

I guess it all depends on what you want out of your reciever. I’ve also heard people complain about Magellan’s Topo software. I’m pretty pleased with that too. In the end I returned the Vista (which is much pricer than the SporTrak).

Just one man’s opinion. Hope it helps.

This has been mentioned many times, but it still drives me crazy a little. The eTrex line is DESIGNED to be SMALL. That means it has to have a smaller and less sensitive antenna.

Garmin has other lines of GPS units. The 76 series uses a quad-helix antenna also. THAT would be a more fair comparison. I have a GPSMAP76 that I LOVE. It works amazingly well.

Also: The 'accuracy' or EPE rating is an estimation of what the gps unit thinks it's accuracy is based only on satellite geometry. It doesn't mean you're that close (or far). AND Magellan units are known for fooling you into thinking they're getting signal when they've actually lost it (for up to 30 seconds if I remember correctly). Walk into a cave with one and stop. It will keep moving for a while.

The eTrex line is a GREAT SMALL gps line. And that's it. If you don't mind a bigger footprint, look at a different line.

Plus, if you ever want to get autorouting Magellan has nothing. If you get any Garmin now and mapping software, that software will work with a V or Street Pilot III later....

Just my $0.02.