etrex software

Question for etrex owners:

I am currently operating with software version 2.11, I have noticed that on Garmin's website there is a version 2.14 available for download. There is a statement; Software modified to support hardware changes, does not affect user operation. What exactly does this mean?

I bought my etrex in 1999, and have not changed any "hardware" would it benefit me at all to install software version 2.14 or is this just for newer models?

It's possible that, during the normal course of a model's production run, subtle changes to its internal hardware configuration are made which are more or less transparent to the user. A 1999 yellow eTrex may look and function the same as a 2002 version, yet there could very well be differences in internal components (3 years *is* a long time when it comes to computer hardware). If this is the case, then it would also make sense that new versions of software would be introduced to accommodate whatever changes may have been made to the hardware (software which, it would seem, is also compatible with earlier hardware configurations of the same model). That's my guess anyway ...the folks at Garmin are the ones who could provide the definitive answer.

Ok, I'm stupid, can someone tell me how I upgrade from version 2.03 to the newer version 2.14 for my basic old yeller Etrex???

I just got a pc cable and I downloaded the V2.14 program to my hard drive. I assume I connect the unit to my pc (win ME) through the serial port, turn the GPS unit on, power up the computer...then what???

Do I click on the program and it tells me what to do? Or do I go to a certain page in the GPS unit and do something (what?)??

I just spent an hour reading the manual and surfing websites for answers. Nuthin'

HELP!! Can anyone give me the short and skinny on this, or direct me to instructions online?

Danke!

Yup, just plug the unit into your serial port and run the software. If you know which port it's connected to, select it, otherwise hit automatic and let the software find it.

Then just hit update!

Took around 20 min to upgrade my vista.

Nogami is right...Just plug and go. Except the basic yellow etrex shouldn't take 20 minutes. My yellow one took about 45 seconds.

Be sure to check out the easyGPS for geocaching now that you have the data cable. It's a heck of a lot easier than manually inputting the cache information.

Chip