Inaccurate Map 330 - help

I've been geocaching for about six months now with a map 330 - (waas enabled it said on the box). It has enabled me to find several caches - but everyone has had trouble with the one I placed, saying the coordinates were 140 feet off.

Today I went out there and spent a very frustrating hour trying to get better coordinates. I could be standing directly at the cache, type the coordinates the machine was reading directly into a waypoint and the unit would immediately say I was 40-60 feet away, even though I hadn't moved.

If I walked away, and came back, the reading was always different by 40-100 feet. Is this normal accuracy from this unit, or is mine defective in some way?

I also notice the street maps are always off by approximately 100 - 200 feet. For example the unit never corresponds when driving through an intersection.

Is there a way to recalibrate?

quote:
Originally posted by Gil:

The problem you are having has to do with the Department of Defense random changes to the timing of the civilian satellite signal,(SA)Selective Availability. The end result is your waypoint location is always changing sometimes as much as 500 ft.

GPS Selective Availability (SA) has not been used since its deactivation by the President on May 1, 2000. At that time, the United States Government stated that it has no intent to ever use SA again. There has been no change in this policy.

Refer to: http://www.igeb.gov/sa.shtml

Steve Simpki

quote:

9/11 CHANGED ALL THAT !!!!!

NEW BROOM SWEEPS CLEAN !

Umm... the government seems to disagree with you, as the GPS SA policy statement is dated 9/17.

Perhaps you could post your sources of information? Or maybe just check your facts....

I would try turning WAAS off. Depending upon where you live and the conditions around you, WAAS can often hurt more than it helps.

Do you have the latest firmware that fixes the averaging problem???

If you have updated your firmware, did you clear your memory after updating???

[This message was edited by harrkev on March 20, 2002 at 06:26 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by ApK:

quote:

NEW BROOM SWEEPS CLEAN !

Umm... the government seems to disagree with you, as the GPS SA policy statement is dated 9/17.

Perhaps you could post your sources of information? Or maybe just check your facts....

Umm.... Source, In the time of war secercy is the weapon of choice.

Facts.., 9/11 is a fact and has changed the way we ourselves, and our government see the rest of the world. So this is a pointless debate since accurcy can't be proven. It's nice chatting with you.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by ApK:

quote:

NEW BROOM SWEEPS CLEAN !

Umm.... Source, In the time of war secercy is the weapon of choice.

Facts.., 9/11 is a fact and has changed the way we ourselves, and our government see the rest of the world. So this is a pointless debate since accurcy can't be proven. It's nice chatting with you.

No, SA is not re-enabled. It will probably not be re-enabled on a broadscale basis, however the government does have the ability to scramble and/or encrypt on select areas if it needs to for military or national security purposes.

However, Gil's contention that accuracy cannot be proved is false. A GPS can be compared to many known locations. Also, you can plot locations on NAPP photos and USGS maps and compare results.

My guess is that either sat. reception was/is poor at the cache location, or the firmware in the GPSr is doing low pass averaging.

-jjf