Magellan 315 software upgrade to ver. 3.14 info?

Guest floatch

Guest floatch

Hey everyone... I bought a Magellan 315 a few days ago, and it's served perfectly for all my cache hunts the past few days. I noticed on the Magellan page there's a new software version available. I'm using 3.07, but 3.14 is now available. I'm wondering if the money to buy a PC connection cable is worth the software upgrade, or if v3.07 is okay. I'm cache hunting mostly with my GPS, with some hiking and biking use as well. Do I really need to buy a cable and mess around with downloading? Does anyone have any first-hand experience with downloading to a 315? How difficult is it? Thanks for your time, folks! -Floatch

------------------

Magellan was the MAN!

Guest MadGPS1

quote:
Originally posted by floatch:

Hey everyone... I bought a Magellan 315 a few days ago, and it's served perfectly for all my cache hunts the past few days. I noticed on the Magellan page there's a new software version available. I'm using 3.07, but 3.14 is now available. I'm wondering if the money to buy a PC connection cable is worth the software upgrade, or if v3.07 is okay. I'm cache hunting mostly with my GPS, with some hiking and biking use as well. Do I really need to buy a cable and mess around with downloading? Does anyone have any first-hand experience with downloading to a 315? How difficult is it? Thanks for your time, folks! -Floatch

floatch

it depends on what you plan on doing with the GPS.But with me here,I got the cable and then I find myself downloading POI from the PC to my GPS and the other way around.Also there is nothing wrong with the VER3.07,but to update to VER3.14,it will give you certain features that you don't have at the moment.I'd say the cable is know a priority for me because I learned from its benefit.So I have upgraded from VER2.03 all the way up to VER3.14 and always learn of something new to my GPS.I don't regret buying the cable.

MadGPS icon_biggrin.gif

Guest MadGPS1

quote:
Originally posted by floatch:

floatch

it depends on what you plan on doing with the GPS.But with me here,I got the cable and then I find myself downloading POI from the PC to my GPS and the other way around.Also there is nothing wrong with the VER3.07,but to update to VER3.14,it will give you certain features that you don't have at the moment.I'd say the cable is know a priority for me because I learned from its benefit.So I have upgraded from VER2.03 all the way up to VER3.14 and always learn of something new to my GPS.I don't regret buying the cable.

MadGPS icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Ron Streeter

Buy the cable. You will not regret it. With the cable, not only can you get the newest software upgrades from Magellan, but you can work with mapping programs like Topo! (Wildflower/National Geographic), Steets and Trips 2001 (Microsoft) and many more talked about in the forums (do a search for software or look in the software forum here).

The newest version has your distance counting down in feet instead of miles. With old software you go down to .01 miles and that's it. With new software it counts down to .10 miles, then ticks down to 527 feet (just less than .10 miles) and down and down in feet. If you are a block away from a target it will be about 250 feet and as you near target it will go down to 50, 40, 27, 10 etc. Try this out with your front yard as a target to get the idea.

I use my gps with mapping software and a laptop in my car. I can actually see the car on the map as I travel and the map view changes automatically as I drive down the road !

Still doubt you want the cable? I suggest the one with the 12 volt and data all in one for about $40.

regards....ron

Post Script

Borrowed a calculator from Bob Renner's A.P.E. captors and made a correction in my post!

[

[This message has been edited by Ron Streeter (edited 30 May 2001).]

Guest bob_renner

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

... With new software it counts down to .01 mile, then ticks down to 527 feet (just less than .01 miles) and down and down in feet. ...

Ron,

Did those APES put something in the box that affected your math abilities??? Last time I checked .01 mile was 52.8 feet and 527 feet was just under .1 mile. icon_wink.gif

Bob

Guest bob_renner

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Streeter:

... With new software it counts down to .01 mile, then ticks down to 527 feet (just less than .01 miles) and down and down in feet. ...

Ron,

Did those APES put something in the box that affected your math abilities??? Last time I checked .01 mile was 52.8 feet and 527 feet was just under .1 mile. icon_wink.gif

Bob

Guest bob_renner

he waypoint information via the few buttons on the GPS unit. The PC keyboard sure beats the buttons on the GPS. With the cable (and appropriate s/w on a PC), you can enter, edit, select, and up/down load waypoints. You can also view them on a map (with mapping software). The data cable is essential (IMO).

Bob

Guest JasonW

quote:
Originally posted by bob_renner:

The data cable is essential (IMO).

Bob

I'd have to agree with Bob 110% there - it's not a nice to have - you'd be insane not to IMHO

Guest Ron Streeter

Bob R....

I thought the A.P.E. guys had you in custody !

And darn it, NOW I have to buy a calculator !

regards...Ron