3D Track-Plotter

Guest Mapmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Mapmaster:

I decided to use Matlab for the visualization

That's a great idea! icon_biggrin.gif

I will try it out first thing tomorrow.

BTW, the link to your image seems to be broken.

Cheers,

Donovan. icon_smile.gif

quote:

I decided to use Matlab for the visualization

That's a great idea! icon_biggrin.gif

I will try it out first thing tomorrow.

BTW, the link to your image seems to be broken.

Cheers,

Donovan. icon_smile.gif

Guest LuvGuppy

Hey Mapmaster,

I like the 3D map. I noticed on the new MapSOurce update (V4.04 Beta) has the following:

Added flag to DXF file to force 3D polylines and their vertices to be imported as 3D into AutoCAD 2000.

Is this the same thing you are doing with mathlab? Also, I would guess it is mandatory that your GPS tracks elevation as well as location. What GPS are you using for this? I have a basic etrex, so I?m guessing this is not an option for me.

Thanks,

Guppy

Guest Mapmaster

quote:
Originally posted by LuvGuppy:

I have a basic etrex, so I?m guessing this is not an option for me.

Hello Guppy!

For your surprise, I can tell you that I´m also using the basic etrex!

Your etrex saves also the elevation and the time with every coordinate. Btw, for the elevation you need at least four satellites, due to the GPS-idea. I compared the elevation told by my etrex to some local points of known elevation and I think it is very adequate for things like geocaching or mountainbiking. So you can not only plot a 2D-track with the data of your etrex, but also a 3D-track! With the timestamps, you could also create some kind of a speed-diagram, based on the movement between the measurments. I don´t know, if the thing you mentioned is about the same like my idea, but I could imagine, that you can easily create such a diagram with a CAD-software.

I hope you are glad about your "new features" of your GPS. icon_wink.gif

Mapmaster

[This message has been edited by Mapmaster (edited 26 September 2001).]

Guest Mapmaster

quote:
Originally posted by LuvGuppy:

I have a basic etrex, so I?m guessing this is not an option for me.

Hello Guppy!

For your surprise, I can tell you that I´m also using the basic etrex!

Your etrex saves also the elevation and the time with every coordinate. Btw, for the elevation you need at least four satellites, due to the GPS-idea. I compared the elevation told by my etrex to some local points of known elevation and I think it is very adequate for things like geocaching or mountainbiking. So you can not only plot a 2D-track with the data of your etrex, but also a 3D-track! With the timestamps, you could also create some kind of a speed-diagram, based on the movement between the measurments. I don´t know, if the thing you mentioned is about the same like my idea, but I could imagine, that you can easily create such a diagram with a CAD-software.

I hope you are glad about your "new features" of your GPS. icon_wink.gif

Mapmaster

[This message has been edited by Mapmaster (edited 26 September 2001).]

Guest Iron Chef

So you're going to put together a webpage on how to do this at home right (for people who have copies of Matlab at least). This is an awesome idea to say the least. Thanks Mapmaster!

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!

For those who want a 2D plot plus an elevation profile there are a number of programs available, including OziExplorer and GARtrip (www.gartrip.de). I use the latter with my eMap for plotting bike rides and the corresponding elevation profile - gives a good idea to other riders of the upcoming terrain. While not as graphically impressive, I think it's actually easier to interpret than the 3D plots.

Another way to see the 3D plots is by using one of the topographic programs, like DeLorme's 3-D Topo program where you also see the surrounding terrain.

Guest bunkerdave

I have been using Delorme's TopoUSA 3.0 for a little while (3 mos) and have been pleased with the results. I do not think it will download data from my GPS to be viewed as track data, but I have been able to do it using the routing function (just set waypoints along the route and let the mapping draw the line) which works well if you are on the road (which I usually am.) For the hiking part, which, obviously, is where the vertical data is most important, I have had to plot the points manually by downloading the track to my Mapsend, and then plotting numerous waypoints along the track. I then plot those points on the TopoUSA, and connect the dots. It is rather time consuming, but if you are looking for a visual representation of your adventures, as I am, it is pretty impressive. I really like the 3D rendering Delorme has, and have used it on most of my Geodashing (geodashing.org) adventure reports, as well as a few of my Geocaching hunts.

One such map is posted here:

http://www.geocaching.com/cache/images/6327_300.jpg

In this case, I plotted the points, and connected the dots. The software will then let you download the route to your GPS as a route, so you have a good route to follow as you hike.

Hope this helps!

Guest LuvGuppy

Thanks Mapmaster,

I am glad about the new features of my GPS. I, like Iron Chef, would love to see a web page or something that would allow people to learn how to accomplish this task.

Thanks again,

Guppy

Guest Iron Chef

quote:

Ok, here are a little description, some screenshots and the corresponding files for Matlab and GPS:

http://www.geocities.com/kingcraft_99/gps/index.htm

Mapmaster

Fantastic! Thanks Mapmaster. I'll have to try this out when I get home.

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!