What not to do with a GPSr

Run over it with a golf cart. icon_redface.gif

On a recent golf outing I was using my Legend to track how poorly I was playing. I had it on the seat in the golf cart when a friend jumped in to move the cart up. He didn't realize that the GPSr had fallen out. I thought 'no big deal' and went back to pick it up. Unfortunately it had fallen onto a concrete cart path and been run over. I could tell this by the tire track left on it. Now it looks like this icon_frown.gif :

icon_confused.gif

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.

That's our baby too!

I feel for you, we love our Legend...that photo is a sad sight.

Stories like this make us extra glad we plunked down the extra bucks on the extended warranty stuff (usuaully a scam in my eyes, but in a situation like this we'd have gone back to Best Buy and snagged a brandy new device, no questions asked).

I hope Garmin comes through for ya!

-KRMarlo

Never hold back your step for a moment...

Never doubt that your courage will grow...

Hold your head even higher, and Into the Fire we go!

quote:
Originally posted by GPThespians:

Stories like this make us extra glad we plunked down the extra bucks on the extended warranty stuff (usuaully a scam in my eyes, but in a situation like this we'd have gone back to Best Buy and snagged a brandy new device, no questions asked).

Extended warranties can be of value but regardless of what an eager salesperson may tell you, extended warranties do not cover accidental damage or abuse. Don't expect that any store would replace a unit with a cracked screen. If you have any doubts, ask for a manager to put it in writing.

quote:
Originally posted by Couch_Potato:

...I sent it to Garmin to be completely refurbished. Since the electronics were still working I was able to download all of my waypoints and routes before sending it in. I also uploaded the latest software update minus any personalization from memap. Now I just get to sit and wait. I wonder how long it will take.

Please post an update when you get the unit back.

quote:
Lanyard goooooood!

Unfortunately this turned out to be one of those 'live and learn' situations. I'll be sure to secure the unit somehow in the future.

quote:

Seriously, though. I use and reccomend

http://www.ram-mount.com/index.htm

I like the looks of the RAM mounts. I doubt that the golf course would like me mounting one to their colf cart though.

I'm not lost!

I had to send my Vista back in June for a problem with the LCD Display.

I got it back in 8 days. Sent it on a Tuesday and is was back the next week. From New Jersey, 2nd day air, got there on Thursday, they worked on it Friday and Monday and sent it back on Tuesday, back in my hands my Friday (I was not home so I had to pick it up at Airborne the next day). Garmin also made a mod to fix the battery compartment.

Excellent Service!

BB

47502_1000.gif

If it's not one thing, then it's another...

Well, it took 10 days but I finally have a Legend to play with again. I say 'a Legend' not 'my Legend' there on purpose. I guess the damage was too much for a quick fix so I was sent a replacement unit. It says right on the service report "exchanged unit s/n # to s/n #." All of my waypoints and routes were transferred to the new unit as well as all the default waypoints that come on all new Garmin units. It is reported as passing all tests and operating within normal limits. icon_smile.gif

Among the things listed on the service report is "Installed eco 18327." Anybody have any idea what that means? icon_confused.gif

I'm not lost!

I was playing around with with my replacement Legend and found what I believe to be proof that it is somebody else's that was sent in for repairs. It has a bunch of Topo maps loaded for a large area west of San Antonio, TX. Near 40 map sections from what I can tell. It suprises me that only 27% of the memory filled up. I guess that lots of topo maps can be loaded into those 8MB.

I've thought about getting the mapsource topo software, now I have a chance to see how it looks on the Legend before buying. icon_smile.gif

I'm not lost!

And just how do you know that only 27% of the map memory is used?

There is no map memory gauge on the unit. The only way you can tell how much space these maps do require, is to upload the maps to MapSource. But I don't know what happens if you upload a map, from a GPS, if you don't have that map installed in MapSource?

Anders

quote:
Originally posted by Anders:

And just how do you know that only 27% of the map memory is used?

I know that only 27% of the memory is used as shown in the setup/system screen. This is with the track log 82% full, 100+ waypoints, and five routes saved.

Is the total memory segmented and allocated for specific uses? I mean, can the map memory be completely full while the system memory is still mostly empty?

I'm not lost!

Map memory is independent from the other user memory. You can have no maps and the gauge near 100%, or the map memory full and the gauge at nearly 0 %.

How much you've filled in the map memory the unit can't tell you. But maps can be uploaded to MapSource. The maps themselves aren't transferred, but the index of which map tiles are in the GPS is transferred. At least if you have these maps installed in your MapSource, it will tell you how much space they require. But I haven't been able to test what happens, if you upload Topo maps from the GPS, to a MapSource that has only MetroGuide installed, for example. Maybe such a combination will not tell you how big you topo maps are, then.

The track log memory is a part of the system memory. If you fill the track log, and erase all waypoints, routes and saved tracks, you get an indication that the track log is full, and that the system memory is used to some extent.

To fill up the system memory, you need:

500 waypoints.

20 routes with 50 waypoints each.

10 saved tracks, each with 250 points.

The active track log filled.

I don't know if saving a waypoint in the favorite list will consume any more system memory.

Anders

I was loving my four year old Magellan 2000 XL, and it had a ton of memories, er, waypoints saved when just last week it slid off my padded dash onto my carpeted p/u floor - and blanked out. I fired it up and it went right to the "initialize" page - GASP!! No waypoints stored anywhere. And once I "re-initialized" it, it locked up and wouldn't track anything. It wouldn't even turn off. I pulled the batteries out, then reinstalled them. Now it wouldn't turn on. Double GASP! So now it's a four year old paper weight.

I talked to someone else with a similar experience and he said Magellan wouldn't fix it but offered to sell him a 310 if he sent them $50 and the old unit. I've already ordered a Standard Horizon Magnum Nav-40 and hope this is more 'shock resistant' than that old Magellan.

So, I've learned to secure my GPS much more agressively than before - ha. The GPS Store (www.thegpsstore.com) says I should have it by Thursday (Sep 12). I can't wait - I feel naked without my GPS by my side.

"Nobody cares what you REALLY do,

as long as the paperwork looks good"

What not to do with your EMap...

264103_300.JPG

I had my Emap along with an ammo can in my saddle bag on my mountain bike when I took a tumble. GPS still works fine, just have trouble seeing the screen sometimes.

I plan on returning it to Garmin eventually. I figure I'll wait till its really broken before I spend the $100.

Cody

Team CBX2

Chandler, AZ

quote:
Originally posted by GOT GPS?:

To find out how much memory the maps take up, try uploading the maps from the gps to Mapsource. That shows you in Mapsorce the highlighted maps and how many megabytes those maps takeup.

That would work very nicely, but I don't have any Mapsource software. I'd be willing to bet that the maps fill the available map memory. But since that doesn't affect my waypoints, routes, or tracks, It doesn't bother me.

Team CBX2 that emap looks sad, but at least it still works. Looks like only the plastic case is cracked. The LCD is still in good shape, just a bit more difficult to see. It seems a shame to spend the $100 for a $5 piece of plastic.

It's good for us to remember that though these things are rugged by electronics standards, they can still be busted when not handled with care.

I'm not lost!