Top speed on your GPS?

So, what's the highest top speed you've seen on your GPS?

When I first got my Venture, I set it so it would keep my top speed. Something must have happened because one day I looked at it and it said 1295 mph. Another time I went for a walk and it said my top speed had been 49 mph.

I am pretty fast.

Bret

As far as I'm aware DoD have regulations which control the upper limits of consumer grade GPS receivers for speed and operating height. Those figures I thought were 60,000 feet and 999mph max.

Now what receivers actually (really) exceed some fairly important max limits for consumer grade units.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

As far as I'm aware DoD have regulations which control the upper limits of consumer grade GPS receivers for speed and operating height. Those figures I thought were 60,000 feet and 999mph max.

Now what receivers actually (really) exceed some fairly important max limits for consumer grade units.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Team Dragon:

I don't remember exactly but it was low 800s on a flight from Japan to the US. I was rather suprised but it was later confirmed by the positioning display the airline periodically uses.

what type of plane was this?

For real: just above 1000 km/h on a private company jet.

Due to reception error: approx 248000 km/h, when the thing suddenly thought I was in Belgium, then outside Denmark four seconds later. After that, it stated "Searching for satellites", so it obviously got completely confused for a while.

Anders

quote:
Originally posted by Kerry:

Yes, the export control regulations specify that the units not operate when above 60000 feet AND over 1000 knots (~1150 mph). AFAIK, the manufacturers have chosen to implememnt the limits so their units don't operate if either condition is met (i.e. OR rather than AND).

quote:
Originally posted by Gunther:

Just curious but why does the DoD have these figures as imposed limits - to stop space travel navigation using commercial GPS?

Maybe it's the same reason why they used to limit speedometers to 85 mph -- to protect us from ourselves.

So--harkening back to those days--how long can you bury the needle on your GPSr? icon_wink.gif

quote:

Just curious but why does the DoD have these figures as imposed limits - to stop space travel navigation using commercial GPS?

Maybe it's the same reason why they used to limit speedometers to 85 mph -- to protect us from ourselves.

So--harkening back to those days--how long can you bury the needle on your GPSr? icon_wink.gif

quote:

This is to prevent someone using a GPS as a missile guidance system. ICBM's would easily exceed both of said specifications.

On a Delta flight I took yesterday from NY to Palm Beach, it was pretty much at 510-515 most of the way but a few times it jumped to 1115 and once or twice hit 615 or so.

By the way, Delta allows GPS in their rules as they put them in the same category as PDA's. You can check it out on their web page. You can use them except when taking off and landing and while on the ground. I tracked my entire flight except for the first and last 5-10 mintures. I left my Vista on the pull down table nearest the window and tracked at least 4 sats most of the way. I didnm't ask permission; once in the middle of the flight the stewardess came over and told me I couldn't use my cell phone. When I told her it was a GPS she OK like it was very common and walked away. No problem.

Alan

quote:

Well if your capable of exceeding those limits you've certainly got different intentions than what any civilian user would be into.

Cheers, Kerry.

quote:

Well if your capable of exceeding those limits you've certainly got different intentions than what any civilian user would be into.

Cheers, Kerry.

The limits prevent terrorist from building cheap and accurate milles! Think of it... a guidence system accurate to 9 ft... for less then $300...

quote:
Originally posted by CYBret:

quote:

The limits prevent terrorist from building cheap and accurate milles! Think of it... a guidence system accurate to 9 ft... for less then $300...

quote:
Originally posted by CYBret:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Anders:

Two days ago, i noticed 80.8 km/h in my tracklog. On inlines...

Could it be the low air resistance with these geo-suits?? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Anders

Stop trying to skate down the sides of buildings. That's a geosuit you're wearing not Spiderman outfit.

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by Anders:

Two days ago, i noticed 80.8 km/h in my tracklog. On inlines...

Could it be the low air resistance with these geo-suits?? icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Anders

Stop trying to skate down the sides of buildings. That's a geosuit you're wearing not Spiderman outfit.

Alan

I've also noticed that while walking, it sometimes gives a rather high reading. Some of that may come from the swinging of my arms, when I walk (assuming the GPS is held in my hand, which it usually is).

But I've also noticed, that occasional misreadings of the position (due to heavy tree cover and/or few sats visible), may lead the unit to think that it is somewhere off the trail, for a little while, and when it catches up again, the (virtual) speed required to get on the correct track again seems to be stored as the max speed in the unit.

This assumption is supported by the fact, that while walking under some rather heave tree cover, at ordinary speed (which for me is 6-7 km/h), I held the unit in front of me, without swinging that arm. Just to give it a as good as possible view of the sky. It managed to hold on to the reception, but the track line became a little erratic, and suddenly, the top speed was >23 km/h. Not bad walking for someone at 40+!

However, it seems that the little detour, which the GPS thought it did, was recorded in the max speed memory.

Anders

I just got my Vista back here in NYC from Garmin. It was at their plant in Kansas for repairs. When I turned it on there was a track between Kansas and NY. In examining the track plots, there was a 6 minute leg I guess from the jump when they turned it on from when I shut it off before shipping to them. It showed a leg distance of around 1100 or so miles, time at around 9 minutes and had a 9,000+mph speed reading.

I shipped it U.S. Postal Service; 2 day Priority delivery service.

Way to go Post Office!

Alan

Desert Rat posted July 25, 2002 06:16 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top Speed

87 MPH--Volvo Airways between Truth or Consequences, NM. and Socorro, NM. on I-25 (most boring piece of road in the world!)

Obviously Desert Rat has never driven on I-80 through western Nebraska.

This thread may cause a sudden surge in speeding tickets! Fortunately I avoided them on all accounts.

'99 Kawasaki 220 ATV - 46.6 MPH

'89 Dodge Dakota - 85.6 MPH

'74 Grand Prix - 132 MPH

In the words of Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen, "that's all there is and there ain't no more".