To Those With A Garmin GPS V Or A Garmin Map76S

JC9000

My V hangs on my backpack strap with the antenna at approx. chest height. Occasionally in extremely heavy tree cover combined with being down in a ravine I have lost sat. signal. Holding it out and up a bit brings it back on-line in no time. There are many times I would have expected loss of signal but it hung in there (literally and figuratively speaking). icon_biggrin.gif

I can't answer your other question as I'm not familiar with the 76S

Cheers, Olar

wavey.gif

Everything said below could be said of the 76S as I've had the same experience with my 76S as Olar with his V.

quote:
Originally posted by Olar:

My V hangs on my backpack strap with the antenna at approx. chest height. Occasionally in extremely heavy tree cover combined with being down in a ravine I have lost sat. signal. Holding it out and up a bit brings it back on-line in no time. There are many times I would have expected loss of signal but it hung in there (literally and figuratively speaking). icon_biggrin.gif

I can't answer your other question as I'm not familiar with the 76S

Cheers, Olar

http://www.plauder-smilies.com/wavey.gif

In the end you have to decide which unit is right for you. It helps if you can go out see them 1st hand. I've posted my V vs. 76S decision if you care to search the archives for it.

Good Luck! icon_biggrin.gif

"Never have a philosophy which supports a lack of courage..."49061_400.gif

If you want a unit for both road navigation & caching, get the V. The autorouting in the V can't be beat, & satellite reception in the woods is very good. I have the MAP76 that I use just for caching & the V, just for road navigation. I could use(and have used) the MAP76 for road navigation, but it can't touch the features of the V for that purpose.I've also used the V for caching, but much prefer the feel & ease of use of the MAP for that purpose. Both are fantastic units. Get 1 of each. icon_biggrin.gif

"Gimpy"