Hiking Trails, Forest Service Campgrounds, and other USEFUL points of interest.

I don't know if this has been discussed here or not, I can't imagine how it wouldn't have, but when I did a search I didn't really come up with too much.

I have a Magellan Meridian Platinum that I bought second hand as a package deal on eBay, it included Mapsend Streets and Destinations. Magellan claims that it shows trails, and ATV trails and all kind of other good things. Well, that is a load of crap, at least in my area (Central Florida). It has a pretty decent representation of Forest Service roads, but many are incredibly outdated; some of the roads it lists have been closed for over 25 years.

So . . . to my question. Is there any mapping software, of any kind, that will allow you to either download maps with trails (like those in National Forests, Parks etc.) Or allow you to download those trails as routes onto a Meridian. It would also be nice if it had Forest Service campgrounds, and parks (Springs, Lakes, River Accesses. . . ). Because truthfully I very rarely visit the commercial campgrounds and parks that are listed as POIs on the MapSend software.

If there is another thread that has already discussed this in detail I would like to read it, and I wouldn't mind hearing any new thoughts.

If you're asking whether you can download maps with software other than mapsend, I'm no expert, but I believe you'll hear a resounding NO from the crowd.

As far as putting routes on your gps that represent the trails, you're in luck. But you'll most likely have to make the routes yourself...this can be done in mapsend, but that's probably no good if you don't know where the trails are. Another option is ExpertGPS which uses topo maps that probably has the trails that you're looking for.

The only problem is the routes can only be 30 legs so if it's a long, winding trail you might have to make multiple routes in a row.

I also heard rumor of some new mapsend software coming out very soon...if that has any truth to it, a more learned person will most likely elaborate.

-pizzachef

http://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/mapmakers.htm

For those interested, the above link will take you to an article that explains where the different map software makers get their data. From my experience with maps of Florida, most are outdated BIG time. My local 7.5 min quad was published in '58 and overprinted with some new data in '89. Things are changing day-to-day in FL, so you always have to expect something to be missing or wrong.

Those looking for Florida specific maps/aerial photos/etc. should check out this site:

http://www.labins.org/2003/

... icon_wink.gif

Thanks for the info, I just bought Mapsend Topo, and that will help me out some too, I was just disappointed with Mapsend Streets, and its useless destinations. But, I am sure if it had the things I mentioned above I would be complaining about something else. It is still leaps and bounds beyond my good ole GPS 315, so I guess I should be thankful for that.

Hey John, you might try using USAPhotmaps. You can input coords for whatever trail you want (use www.topozone.com to locate your trail and it's coords) then use USAPhotoMaps to automatically download topo or aerial maps for your trail. Once you have them downloaded, you can draw the route with your mouse, and then upload the route to your Magellan. Just another option.

Yea, I have found the Mapsend to be a little lacking in some locations, but overall I am pretty happy with the Topo version as far as showing roads (and backcountry routes) in my area, and especially land features such as peaks, springs, rock formations, bridges, etc. Being able to see the elevation for this stuff is great.

BAJATACO.COM

Vibram or BFG - getting there on rubber and seeing it all!