Cross-hatch pattern outside map area

Guest skeeter

Guest skeeter

I know this isn't really Geocaching related but with the knowledge base here, I thought I'd see if anyone else has the problem.

My Magellan Map 330 displays a cross-hatch pattern when I roam outside the area of the maps that I've downloaded with MapSend. This pattern occurs at a resolution of about .4mi and smaller. I have the latest firmware version of 1.56. A while back I thought I'd seen that they'd fixed this problem while reading the "fixed" item list for the firmware release notes on the Magellan site. I went back to confirm this and that note seems to be gone. Was I dreaming?

I shot Magellan an email about this but have gotten no response. Has anyone else seen or have this problem?

Thanks.

Skeeter

Guest skeeter

I first noticed it a month back when visiting a friend up in Denton. I'd put a map of the North Dallas area in memory. Since I wasn't complete sure where I was going, I used the map I'd loaded. Unfortunately, his location was just outside the map. As I was looking for street names I had the resolution down pretty low and that's where I got the cross-hatched pattern. If I zoomed out to about 1.6 miles or so the pattern went away.

Guest brokenwing

quote:
Originally posted by skeeter:

I first noticed it a month back when visiting a friend up in Denton. I'd put a map of the North Dallas area in memory. Since I wasn't complete sure where I was going, I used the map I'd loaded. Unfortunately, his location was just outside the map. As I was looking for street names I had the resolution down pretty low and that's where I got the cross-hatched pattern. If I zoomed out to about 1.6 miles or so the pattern went away.

Yea, the only time recently where I went out of the detail map area was when I was headed into Collin county going to the LPS04 cache. I just didn't think I'd need the detail map up there when I loaded it, so to save space, I cut it off north of the Dallas county line. Right before I got to the cache, I left the detail map area. It didn't go to a crosshatch, though. It just got a lot less detailed. I don't remember what zoom level I was on at the time, but I figure I would have been zoomed in pretty close, since I was hunting for a particular street that was listed on the paper map.

------------------

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

Guest skeeter

I'll build another map that I know will go out of range between home and work. Should I get it to act up, I'll take a picture of the display and post it (if I can figure out how to do that!).

That sounds like the was garmin mapsource maps work - as you get to the border you get crosshatched areas so you know you are leaving the detail. the crosshatch prevents you from seeing any detail. the only way to get rid of it is to turn off the mapsource map overlay. but you said you have a mag. so can't help you.

Guest ClayJar

y, using the basemap at such tight zoom levels is probably not a great idea, but if you're hiking right near the edge of your detail and you hike off the end of the world, not being able to see any details would be rather bad.

Guest ClayJar

Actually, I would guess that it's not so much that the map would be mostly empty as it is that the basemap is not accurate to those levels. Basically, the compression scheme used to fit all those basemap streets in such a small amount of memory means that you can't be as precise as you can with relatively memory hogging detail maps. (And what would be the point of showing a street +/- 30 feet if the basemap is only, say, +/- 250 feet?)

Guest skeeter

Well, at least it's good to see that I'm not the only one that has the "problem".

I think ClayJar hit it when he said it was disconcerting. When you're intent on finding your destination, then the map suddenly goes crosshatched it tends to throw you. icon_wink.gif Even if you are on a main thoroughfare, you still have to zoom out for that to become visible again an I think that's what gets a person.

Thanks for all the responses to this query.

Guest skeeter

Well, at least it's good to see that I'm not the only one that has the "problem".

I think ClayJar hit it when he said it was disconcerting. When you're intent on finding your destination, then the map suddenly goes crosshatched it tends to throw you. icon_wink.gif Even if you are on a main thoroughfare, you still have to zoom out for that to become visible again an I think that's what gets a person.

Thanks for all the responses to this query.

Yep, my MAP330 does the same thing when I get to the limit of my uploaded detail map. Learn something new everyday. I also learned that I don't have the latest firmware upgrade... I'm still on Rev. 1.56 AND my base map is Rev. 1.03. Boy, am I behind the times or what? And I've only had this thing for a couple of months! Guess I need to go to Magellan's site and do some downloading huh?

Wait a minute...

Clayjar, I just went to Magellan's website to download firmware reivision 2.03 and basemap revision 1.06 and the latest revisions I see are still 1.56 and 1.03 respectively. What's up? Where do I get the newer revisions? CAN I get them?

Confusedly,

Tedoca

Guest ClayJar

The special firmware 2.03, basemap 1.06 combo comes from the MapSend Topo CD. The basemap is updated slightly (I think they must have added altitudes or something, but it's not like a super change or anything), and the firmware is updated to be able to handle the topo detail (and accompanying trivia).