which is the better unit?

Guest Latitude11

Guest PneumaticDeath

I think the 315x is just a 315 with data cable and software. It doesn't have the ability to load maps, or anything like that. It is most closely comparable to the eTrex base model.

The eTrex legend has 8MB of memory to load maps and such, but you need to purchase a Mapsource product (vary in price from $90 to $150 or so) to load anything more detailed than the basemap of major highways. It is most closely comparable to the Magellan MAP330.

Here's a summary:

eTrex basic yellow

Pros:

• Small
  • Long battery life (22 hr. on 2 AA).
  • Waterproof.
  • Cheap

Cons:

• Poor antenna sensitivity.
  • No maps

Magellan 315

Pros:

• Good antenna sensitivity
  • cheap

Cons:

• Not waterproof.
  • No Maps.

eTrex Legend

Pros:

• Small
  • Maps
  • High display resolution.
  • Waterproof.

Cons:

• Poor antenna sensitivity
  • Some reports of problems with durability.
  • Mapping software is expensive.

Map330

Pros:

• Maps
  • Good antenna sensitivity.
  • ??? (Don't know as much about this one.

Cons:

• Not waterproof.
  • more expensive than the legend.

-- Mitch

Guest brokenwing

I tend to agree with PneumaticDeath and think he has given you a pretty even handed comparison, sometimes rare here on the boards where brand loyalty can be very aparent.

There are a few things I would like to expand on. First, I'd disagree that the Magellan 330 is more expensive. I believe the base price for both units is $249. A quick check of some online retailers shows both can be had for around $220. If you were considering the 330, though the 330X with the cable, map CD and car mount is a good deal at around $250-$260. If you were to get all that for the legend, you'd probably spend at least $350-$400.

PneumaticDeath may be overstating the sensitivity issue with the eTrex units a little. Patch antennas are tuned to work best on recieving signals from overhead SV's, while quadifilar helix antennas such as those found on the magellan 315 and 330 are better as picking up signals from SV's low on the horizon. That can mean better geometry, but also can mean more induced error due to signal distortion from the increased distance the signal must travel though the ionosphere and troposphere.

Bottom line, both can give you good accuracy under most conditions, but my experience, and that of others I've read here on the forum seems to suggest that the Magellans mave have an edge in keeping locks under heavy cover.

All things considered, any of the units mentioned so far will work fine. I'd really consider a mapping unit if you can afford it. For me, it saves tons of time, especially when looking for urban caches in unfamiliar territory.

Thanks,

brokenwing

Guest prv8eye

quote:
Originally posted by brokenwing:

If you were to get all that for the legend, you'd probably spend at least $350-$400.

If you're going to spend that much you might want to TRY to wait for the new Magellan Meridian units to come out.

http://www.magellangps.com/frames/frame2.htm

They certainly appear to beat anything else in their price range. Jeeze, they're even rubber coated.

I can't wait to see the first honest reports about the Meridians from Geocaching users.

Gus Morrow

Oceanside, CA