MS Streets and Trips 2004? What a ripoff!!!!!!!!!

icon_confused.gif Really? I am using S&T 2003, and have found it to be very accurate over all. I have found a few small errors, and one major omission (Hwy 19 doesn't exist) but overall, it's just as accurate as the locally produced paper maps for the Sourthern Vancouver Island area. I haven't found much to complain about with the coverage for Halifax, or the south-eastern interior of BC. What sort of mapping are you looking for? Travel, Topo, or ???

quote:
Originally posted by tirediron:

icon_confused.gif Really? I am using S&T 2003, and have found it to be very accurate over all. <snip>

I had S&T 2001 and really liked it. Upgraded to 2002 hoping for some improvements. Imagine my surprise to find the street I lived on was dropped! Returned it. Didn't look at 2003.

I had to reinstall Windows recently, so went scrounging around for my S&T disks. Could only find one and not the one I needed. Bought S&T 2004 with fingers crossed. Fortunately my street has magically reappeared.

Overall I don't see any reason to upgrade once you have this program, until M$ does a couple of useful changes to support GPS. Detail that I have seen is not significantly different.

quote:
Originally posted by MotorBug:

Overall I don't see any reason to upgrade once you have this program, until M$ does a couple of useful changes to support GPS. Detail that I have seen is not significantly different.

I have not seen previous versions, so I don't know what was there if anything. I purchased S&T 2004 about a month ago, and it does have some support for GPS. Nothing fancy, but I can plug in my GPSr and have it track my location on the map. Handy to know when one has missed a turn, but then again, any decent routing GPS like a garmin V would do that without the added overhead of a PocketPC or Laptop attachment.

Since I don't have a routing GPS (I have a Rino 120), I keep the laptop in the truck and use it when necessary. Works slick.

I had S&T 2002 for quite a while & really liked it so, recently I decided to upgrade to 2004 as well, very much expecting to see noticeable changes. Umm NOPE as far as I can see lol. Perhaps there are enhancements to some areas that I haven't looked at, but a co-worker who recently bought a house in a "new neigborhood" (built about 2 years ago) still doesn't have his roads listed.

I've never had much problems with even the 2002 version regarding accuracy, but just thought a version several years newer woulda had visible improvements/differences. Bottom line here's a tip: Grab the S&T 2002-3 version out of the clearance bin for $20 rather than pay $60+ for 2004 icon_biggrin.gif

For Geocaching, I've been using the Utopia software to move .gpx files from geocashing.com over to S&T and, WOW is that ever a great way of organizing a cache seeking day!

I'm a little disappointed as well. I had S&T 03 and upgraded to 04, as I use it on a daily basis. I was the maps, and addresses would be updated (lots of places around here going from RR Box style to street addresses) but there are still a lot of addresses that aren't showing up, and streets that don't have names/have wrong names. I was also hoping that the "new" roads around here would have made it to the maps by now, but I guess a 4 lane road takes five or six years to make it to the maps. Wonder how long it'll take to get the roads that are currently being built to show up, S&T 2020?

Not holding back icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Skeeter64:

IVxIV,

How do you transfer waypoints over to S&T? Downloaded Utopia but i cant get 2002 to recognize the points. Any tips???

I would e-mail Prime Suspect, the software author. He helped me with S&T 2003 and it works great. He will be able to tell you if the two are compatible. He seemed quite willing to help.

TerraTrekkers

=[icon_smile.gif]=

Jim & Deb

quote:
Originally posted by Insp Gadget:

Sorry, I should have been a bit clearer in my initial posting. I was referring to the points of interest for Canada. About the best I can find are a few campgrounds, while in the US there are thousands of POI's to choose from.

I believe it contains all 11 of Canada's POIs. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Skeeter64:

IVxIV,

How do you transfer waypoints over to S&T? Downloaded Utopia but i cant get 2002 to recognize the points. Any tips???

It took me a while to figure out that one too lol. Basically, in Utopia go to the Options -> export options section and pick the "CSV Fields" tab. Select whatever fields you want to send to S&T. Note you have to include Latitude and Longitude in your list (obviously lol). But less obvious you have to be sure to select the format type of "(-)ddd.dddddd" for both coordinate types, or S&T won't be able to manage the file. Now export your list into a .csv file format. Then start S&T and us the "import data wizard" to read in the file created by utopia. Be sure to specify the feed is "comma delimited", make sure you have the correct country specified, and make sure the Latitude/longitude columns are correctly identified. That outta do it.

Hey it took me more hours than I care to admit until ultimate success ( icon_biggrin.gif ) but keep trying, the results are very much worth it!

quote:
Anyone know of a better mapping program for Canada?

Hi inspector , I use MapSend Canada . I know its kinda outdated but I use my gps mostly for when I go 4 wheeling and hunting and find the offroads in new brunswick are pretty much all there, of course the newer ones aren;t but I can live with that. Also I'm gonna get the latest DNR maps for 30$ and scan them all. I'm gonna try GPS tracker in conjunction with this program.

For importing waypoints, I copy & paste fro Easy GPS to an xml file, then open in Excel & save As .xls, then import automatically into S&T. It's way easy if you change the column headings to match S&T then it imports without any real work.

Only gripe I have is that you can't switch pushpins from imported folders to hand matched folders. Means I have to duplicate all my Found Caches to maintain the correct symbol.