Bug in Vista Firmware v2.50...?

I just used my Vista in the car for the first time since installing the v2.50 firmware over the holidays. I noticed that, when viewing the 'Speed' data field while driving (either as a data field on the map, or as part of the trip computer display) the speed given in KPH is exactly half of what I was actually travelling. For example, if the speed displayed on my car's speedometer was 80KPH, the speed displayed at the same time on my Vista was only 40KPH. Having used the GPS while driving many times in the past (through at least 2 previous versions of Vista firmware), this is the first time that I've encountered this problem ...has anyone else? Is this a firmware bug with v2.50, or could there be another cause? Whatever the cause, it didn't seem to interfere with the Vista's other calculations that involve 'speed' (ie: its display of 'ETA' and 'ETE' for example) ...just the display of 'Speed' itself.

I've not tried to see if the same 'half price' problem existed when displaying speed in MPH.

icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

ontario1.gif

I haven't noticed it, but being a right-thinking American, I don't use kilometers. There's a new Vista beta version (3.01) out, and there's no mention of it fixing any problem with speed readouts.

BTW - Read the warnings on the download page, if you want to install this. It basically does a full system reset, wiping out the existing alamanac data. You don't want to install this just before you need to use it.

3608_1400.gif

...although the problem appears to have arisen since upgrading to v2.50. I suppose it could be some sort of anomaly (hopefully temporary) which, by coincidence, just happened to surface the first time that I used my Vista in the car after upgrading. Its been a few days since this happened (and since I last used the GPSr while driving), so I'll try it again and see if the problem persists; if it does, I'll try re-installing v2.50.

I suppose another possible fix might be to do a reset with v2.50 installed and see if that 'shakes' the gremlin.

ontario1.gif

...several days after my original 'half price' problem.

It would seem that whatever the glitch was that caused my Vista to display incorrect speed, it has disappeared. As pleased as I am that things are back to normal, these type of NFF('No Fault Found') situations can be frustrating ...it's always nice to know what caused the problem in the first place in the event that it should ever re-occur.

Then again, when it comes to GPS, I suppose that we often take for granted the 'rock solid' performance of a system which - when you stop to think about it - is nothing short of amazing and technically complex. The function of today's handheld GPSrs is deceptively simple from a users' point of view ...belieing the sequence of events required to actually determine your location within a few metres anywhere on the face of the planet.

I continue to look on in awe whenever I see those lat/lon figures appear on my Vista's display.

icon_smile.gif

ontario1.gif