What model GPS is everyone using? III

Guest mcb

Guest White Rabbit

I'm looking to buy my first GPS system. I was looking at the GPS 315 and thought it sounded decent. Not knowing the least bit of anything about them, it sounded good. I've read a lot of you talk very good about it and was wondering what a good price is for it. The one I saw was $150, is that a good buy?

Guest Growley

The eTrex Legend did not pass the "in the woods" test. Bought a MAP 76 yesterday. 10 day old Legend is on the shelf.

[This message has been edited by Growley (edited 30 July 2001).]

Guest arffer

white rabbit,

Got my Maggy 315 on eBay for $90. Love it.

BTW, if you buy your GPSR online or mailorder and it has to be shipped, ask the seller to loosen the battery cover before shipping. Changes in air pressure during shipping can damage the seals.

Guest nlazarus

As far as I can figure it, if all I'm going to do is look for caches I should get a Garmin. But if I am going to place caches I should get a Magellan becuase of the Auto Averaging feature. Any thoughts?

Guest Moun10Bike

quote:
Originally posted by nlazarus:

As far as I can figure it, if all I'm going to do is look for caches I should get a Garmin. But if I am going to place caches I should get a Magellan becuase of the Auto Averaging feature. Any thoughts?

Many Garmins support averaging. The eTrex line does not, but others such as the GPS III+, GPSMap 76, 12, etc. do. It is not automatic -- you manually tell it to average -- but it is easy to do. Besides, there is still a lot of debate as to whether or not averaging for short amounts of time (< 2 hours or so) really makes any difference. More important for geocaching is to look for a unit with a good antenna, especially for hiding caches. The Magellan 3XX line, and any of the Garmins with a non-patch antenna [e.g. GPS III+, GPSMap 76, 12, etc.) are good for this.

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

27H/71F/3C/2S/2X

N 47° 36.649', W 122° 3.616'

www.switchbacks.com/geocaching.html

I use a lowrance globalnav 12. It does everyhting I need it to do and then some. It was easier to build my own cables (power & data) than with an etrex.

By Model

--------

Magellan 315: 21

Garmin eTrex Legend: 20

Garmin III+: 19

Garmin Vista: 18

Garmin GPSMAP 76: 15

Garmin eTrex: 14

Garmin 12: 13

Lawrance Globalmap 100: 13

Magellan 330: 12

Garmin eTrex Venture: 8

Garmin 12XL: 5

Garmin eMap: 5

Garmin eTrex Summit: 4

Garmin 12MAP: 4

Garmin III: 2

Magellan 2000XL: 2

Eagle Accunavsport: 2

Magellan for HandSpring: 2

Lawrance Globalmap 12: 2

Garmin III Pilot: 1

Garmin GPS 76: 1

Garmin eTrex Mariner: 1

Garmin 48: 1

Garmin 45XL: 1

Magellan 320: 1

Magellan 330m: 1

Magellan 410: 1

Magellan 2000: 1

Lawrance Globalmap 200: 1

Lawrance Globalmap 212: 1

GeoDiscovery Geode: 1

Apelco/Ratheon GPS11: 1

Eagle Explorer: 1

Silva Multi Navigator: 1

By Brand

--------

Garmin: 132

Magellan: 42

Lawrence: 17

Eagle: 3

Apelco/Ratheon: 1

Silva: 1

mcb

Guest Cach-U-Nuts

We are using a Magellan Map 410. It is a great unit but is no longer supported. There is no software update to use the WAAS or to get detailed street maps.

Guest ajkwan

Hehe, I must be the only one, or one of the very few to use a Palm IIIxe in conjunction with a Rand McNally Streetfinder GPS (clips onto the PDA). But, it sucks. I'm lookin to get a dedicated GPS soon. icon_smile.gif

Guest ajkwan

Hehe, I must be the only one, or one of the very few to use a Palm IIIxe in conjunction with a Rand McNally Streetfinder GPS (clips onto the PDA). But, it sucks. I'm lookin to get a dedicated GPS soon. icon_smile.gif

Guest Gliderguy

Currently using a Garmin III+ with a Garmin III as a backup. I also own (what a GEEK!) an Eagle Explorer and a Magellan Blazer 12 that I would part with if someone made a decent offer. (I got the Blazer "free" as part of a promotion with the last set of tires I bought for my pickup)

I might even consider trying to place a level 4 or better cache somewhere with one of the "retired" units as the crown jewel of the cache. Havent decided yet.

Guest Pat in Louisiana

Well I just found out about geocaching and from the looks of this list my old Eagle Explorer V1.9 1997 must not be the way to go! Perhaps santa will bring me a new toy :-)

Translation: "I guess I'll have to buy one"

------------------

Pat in Louisiana

"I just want to live happily ever after every now and then"

Jimmy Buffet

Guest Uplink

I have been using an Eagle Explorer (v. 1.4) since 1997, and it has been a great unit. I bought it for my boat, and have used it to cross Rosario Strait (in the San Juan Islands) in the fog. I found Deception Pass easily while other boats were laying up waiting for the fog to lift. It has lots of great features like position averaging (garmin users eat your heart out). My early version has a nasty bug however, where if you manually enter a waypoint without a name, or enter the position before the name, it will turn off and lock you out until you can figure out the undocumented key combination to reset the unit! It's a bit on the large and clunky side compared to an etrex, but I have definitely gotten my money's worth out of it. Seriously thinking about buying a Garmin GPS76MAP now.

I don't see a Magellan 310 listed here. My friend ( a newbie) bought a Magellan 310 yesterday.

Is she correct in stating that the coordinates only carry out to second

decimal, and if so, what difference will that make in her accuracy?

Guest bob_renner

Celts,

The Mag 310 resolution is basically +-60 ft. rather than +-6 ft like other GPSRs. The accuracy of the receiver itself is the same as others but it can't display the results as well as other GPSRs. This will put the user at a disadvantage in both placing and seeking caches. My personnal recommendation is to take it back and trade it for one that displays minutes to 3 decimal places (e.g. Mag 315 and up or any Garmin).

Bob

[This message has been edited by bob_renner (edited 15 August 2001).]

Guest davidp

Basic etrex. its the best. always perfectly accurate in a place where nothing seems to get decent reception. Also plenty of features for a little price

Guest Moonfrog

Hi. I have a Megellan 310 also, and am very pleased with it. While I have only searched and located 1 cache and 1 multi-cache, I have not had any problems with accuracy thus far. I was within 3 feet of the last one with my GPS. However, I've seen quite a bit of talk on here about the 310 vs. the 315, and am still thinking seriously about taking mine back to Wal-Mart and getting the 315 - if only for the cool maps that supposedly come loaded on it.

quote:
Originally posted by celts:

I don't see a Magellan 310 listed here. My friend ( a newbie) bought a Magellan 310 yesterday.

Is she correct in stating that the coordinates only carry out to second

decimal, and if so, what difference will that make in her accuracy?

Guest Wesley Horton

Lowrence Globalmap 100 primary and and antiquated tricorder called an Eagle Accunave sport that I got around the first of the year for $50.00 (And we were Darn glad to have it too! Why when I first used gps they were the size of a VW -onky kidding about that part.. .)

Wesley Horton

Guest MonteChristo

I now have a Garmin Etrex Venture (new.. I'm still reading the manual :-)

A couple of years ago I bought a Magellan Blazer 12 in the USA to give to someone as a birthday present. I had a lot of fun with the Blazer 12 while I was in the USA.. but was a bit sad to see it couldn't cope with "below sea level" in Death Valley.

[This message has been edited by MonteChristo (edited 17 August 2001).]

Guest kellytklp

I have a GPSMAP76

I've only been a fanatic for about a month now, but I love it. My wife is pulling her hair out as the UPS man has come half a dozen times over the past month.

I need to go order some more "stuff!"