What model GPS is everyone using? III

Guest mcb

Per Artful Dodger's request I have started part three of this thread below is a recap of part two.

By Model

--------

Garmin eTrex Legend: 14

Magellan 315: 14

Garmin III+: 13

Garmin Vista: 12

Garmin GPSMAP 76: 11

Garmin 12: 9

Lawrance Globalmap 100: 8

Garmin eTrex: 7

Garmin eTrex Venture: 5

Magellan 330: 5

Garmin eTrex Summit: 4

Garmin eMap: 3

Garmin 12MAP: 3

Garmin 12XL: 3

Garmin III: 2

Magellan 2000XL: 2

Eagle Accunavsport: 2

Garmin GPS 76: 1

Garmin eTrex Mariner: 1

Magellan 320: 1

Magellan 330m: 1

Magellan 2000: 1

GeoDiscovery Geode: 1

Magellan for HandSpring: 1

Apelco/Ratheon GPS11: 1

Eagle Explorer: 1

Silva Multi Navigator: 1

By Brand

--------

Garmin: 88

Magellan: 25

Lawrence: 8

Eagle: 3

Apelco/Ratheon: 1

Silva: 1

mcb

Guest Paulwhy

Garmin GPS 12. Good under tree cover, I hardly ever lose a signal. I also use it with Microsoft Streets and Trips ($10 after $20 rebate) in the car. Works great. I always know where I am, where I am going, and where I can find nearest bagel shop, gas station, or geocache.

Guest Duger

I am using a Magellan Map330 waas enabled. It works good, really fast GPS fix and sensitivity when under foliage/inside car/etc.

Guest packnrat

i have a garmin etrax and love it as it rides on the handlebars of my mt bike.

just bought a magellan 315 and need some time to find out about it.

Packnrat

Guest Zer0

have a delorme earthmate for my laptop in the car using street atlas 7.0 just purchased a garmin III plus a few weeks ago and love it 4 caches logged with it.

By Model

--------

Garmin eTrex Legend: 15

Magellan 315: 15

Garmin III+: 14

Garmin Vista: 13

Garmin GPSMAP 76: 11

Garmin eTrex: 11

Garmin 12: 11

Lawrance Globalmap 100: 9

Magellan 330: 8

Garmin eTrex Venture: 6

Garmin eTrex Summit: 4

Garmin eMap: 4

Garmin 12MAP: 4

Garmin 12XL: 4

Garmin III: 2

Magellan 2000XL: 2

Eagle Accunavsport: 2

Garmin GPS 76: 1

Garmin eTrex Mariner: 1

Magellan 320: 1

Magellan 330m: 1

Magellan 2000: 1

GeoDiscovery Geode: 1

Magellan for HandSpring: 1

Apelco/Ratheon GPS11: 1

Eagle Explorer: 1

Silva Multi Navigator: 1

By Brand

--------

Garmin: 100

Magellan: 29

Lawrence: 9

Eagle: 3

Apelco/Ratheon: 1

Silva: 1

mcb

Guest rmpgis

Lowrance GlobalMap 100

OziExplorer, OziMC software to upload custom maps in addition to Lowrances data

I consistently get position lock in my house. WOW

Guest k2dave

garmin III+

Topo USA software

I also use MS streets but that can't be DL into the gps

Very happy w/ it

------------------

Guest klgraves

Am I the only one still using a Lowrance Globalnav 12? I think they went out of production last year. Guess I'll upgrade when the new Lowrance ifinder comes out.

Tim

Guest Mr_Macaw

at the basic eTrex, but changed my mind after reading these fora; my reason was the reportedly better reception.

Having played with the unit, I can also say that I find the buttons-on-the-front form more user-friendly. I find that I get usable reception around bits of London, though I wouldn't expect it to work around really high buildings.

A couple of things that annoy me slightly:

* The Expected Position Error is only shown on the position screen, and isn't shown when the unit is averaging. It'd be nice to have it as one of the customisable displays on the other screens.

* The leather case doesn't have a piece of clear plastic to protect the screen against scratches. Does anyone know of another case with this which will fit the 315?

Overall, I'm happy with the unit.

[This message has been edited by Mr_Macaw (edited 15 July 2001).]

Guest sivad

I had a garmin venture now I have a basic Etrex. Which I will be getting rid of and going back to a venture. My wife talked me into traiding. Because of price.

Guest Havasu Desert Rat

Garmin Model 12. I've never lost a signal even in heavy conifer forest, and can get a lock standing in the middle of my house. It's done everything I asked of it and the menus are really simple to navigate. Does averaging and will give me the distance between any 2 waypoints in memory.

If I can get all these features plus WAAS, I might consider upgrading.

------------------

Larry Sallee

aka The Havasu Desert Rat

Guest Bob Bowter

I carry the Vista most places I go. It's not much bigger than the case for my sunglasses. I have even been known to fire it up on the way to the trash dumpster. Dang, is that's not GPS obsession. My only complaint is that it occasionally looses lock under heavy tree cover. For hiking and just general getting around in the wilderness this not much of a problem. When hunting and placing caches it's a bit more annoying. Overall it's an incredible unit.

Guest Hard Slate

Still waiting(impatiently)for my Legend to show up.I thought it should have been here by now.I'm leaving for Virginia 7/25 and hope to have it to do a couple of caches.I guess the gps12 will have to work,it has yet to let me down.

Guest faithwalker

We use a Street Pilot and a brand new map76...Had a Vista but returned it in trade for map76. Waitin on the V.

...Faithwalker...

Guest Sluggo

be the only Geocacher in the world that uses a Horizonal Situation Indicator (HSI) and Glideslope to find a cache. Now, if I could just get you guys to put them closer to the airports. (The car rental is killing me. And Avis says that if I bring back one more Tarus with a busted oil pan they are going to boot me out of the WIZARD Club.) icon_wink.gif

--Sluggo

Guest Sluggo

be the only Geocacher in the world that uses a Horizonal Situation Indicator (HSI) and Glideslope to find a cache. Now, if I could just get you guys to put them closer to the airports. (The car rental is killing me. And Avis says that if I bring back one more Tarus with a busted oil pan they are going to boot me out of the WIZARD Club.) icon_wink.gif

--Sluggo

Guest dan_edwards_1966

Magellan for HandSpring, and I love it to bits. I am even thinking of making some custom GeoTracking software for it.

Guest 1000$bill

Lawrence Globalmap 100

get good locks at home, in the car, and as long as I keep moving in the woods. Gets flakey if you stop,then change directions suddenly. takes it 20 to 30 paces to recognise change and show new heading even with pinning turned off or on.