Question...

Guest similarjim

I like DeLorme's Street Atlas program. In addition to using it directly with your laptop, you can also use it to calculate a route and then upload it to most GPS receivers. I've found this to work well in finding my way in unfamiliar areas without always needing to take the laptop.

The user interface is a bit different from most Windows programs - it works fine, but may take a little adjustment period.

Guest Prime Suspect

You can find both Street Atlas 8.0 and 9.0 on the shelves right now. Avoid 8.0, even if it's discounted. The routing routine is seriously flawed. The 9.0 release is much better, and there is supposed to be a Street Atlas Delux available RSN.

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

You can find both Street Atlas 8.0 and 9.0 on the shelves right now.

Hehehhehe. I'm still using SA5. Just reminded me of the ONE thing I dislike about DeLorme; No free (or even discounted) software upgrades. Guess maybe I'm spoiled by the gaming industry, where there are games like Half Life that I purchased years ago and still get free feature upgrades, even if it does mean 100meg downloads.

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

...and there is supposed to be a Street Atlas Delux available RSN.

I've been using SA since version 5 (I think... It all gets sooo fuzzy...) and I just received SA Deluxe. They've changed the UI quite a bit. I think I like it better, but I haven't played with it too much yet. I did upload a couple of routes to my MAP330 and that part worked fine. The maps in SA Deluxe are improved over previous versions (I skipped version 9, though, so I can't comment on it). Rather than menus and toolbars at the top of the screen, everything is in a window at the bottom of the screen, with tabs for the various functions. I'm not quite used to it, but it seems easy to use.

My one complaint is no support for Windows CE handhelds. Support for Palm OS handhelds is there, but no Palmtop or Pocket PC.

...ron

Guest GeoForse

And I will put in one lone voice for Microsoft Streets and Trips. If you don't like the routing, you can drag and drop it on a new location. Lots of POI's, from hotels, highway services, eateries, etc. Last version I bought was $30 with a $20 rebate at Sam's club. One drawback--if you are using it with an attached GPSR, you get updates at fifteen second intervals--not nearly frequently enuf...

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

Just reminded me of the ONE thing I dislike about DeLorme; No free (or even discounted) software upgrades.

Well, here it is a day later, and what do I get in my email?

quote:
.........As a registered DeLorme customer YOU SAVE...........

Street Atlas USA 9.0 - $29.95 -- save $15

Street Atlas USA Deluxe - $39.95 -- save $20

OR buy both products for $59.95 -- That's a $45 savings!

Didn't look yet to see how their sale price compares to everyone elses normal price.

Is there any reason I would want to buy BOTH though?

[This message has been edited by Mopar (edited 25 October 2001).]

i like ms streets and trips too! best metro maps of anything i have used, now if i could just load them on my vista....dream on

------------------

"Well.... if theres a bright center to the universe, you are on the planet that is farthest from." (Luke Skywalker, Star Wars)

I have uses MS streets (2000) and trips - one thing I like about it is I can put in an address and get the waypoint to enter into the gps - another thing is it was $8 after rebate at costco.

One thing I don't like about it is that if you connect it to a gps it will always center on you position even if you try to scroll away it will jump back when the next position info from the gps comes in.

I don

't know about the other product mentioned here.