Best Software???

Bonaro

I have a GPS 3+ and I am addicted to it. I am looking get mapping software. Trouble is...there are a lot of choices. I have done a bit of research and in my slightly educated opinion, the National Geographic Topo looks like the best.

I an into hunting and prospecting for gold so I am looking to select spots or routes on a PC (WinXP) based map then download to the GPS. I would also like to upload that back to the PC to track where I have been. It would be cool to link digital pics to waypoints. It is very important that I get the most detailed contour and land features available.

I would like some feedback on the best software to get before I burn $100 or more.

Thanx icon_cool.gif

I just purchased a Plat (which of course does not come with any software) and I am looking to purchase some software. Are most mapping software programs compatible with my Plat? I am thinking about Streets and Trips to start, but I am also wanting to get something that will show some of the offroad routes as well. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have searched and searched the net and spoke with Magellan about getting some forest service maps for my Plat, but have not been successful. Does anyone know where or how I could get these maps? There is a store here that sells Garmin products and has a bunch of maps like that for their products. I don't want to have to return the Plat for an Emap, but I need something that will help me when I am camping or offroading. Is there another way to create these types of maps? Thanks.

I posted this in another thread, here goes again:

quote:
Topo Software

I recently purchased DeLorme's 3-D TopoQuads. I got to look at the program before I purchased it, and it seemed pretty good. The major selling point was the 3-D aspect. Also, they were 1:24,000 which I wanted so I could map my property. Got it home, and started playing with it, and couldn't figure out how to download tracks, and waypoints. Nothing seemed to work. Sent an email to DeLorme, and they fired back an email to me the next day, as a matter of fact this went on for several days, and they always had a quick reply.

Bad thing is...I own a Garmin GPSMap 76S. Come to find out, they aren't set up for my GPS (along with several other units)! However the nice people at DeLorme told me that this isn't a big problem. I can just buy some other software, which will accept my GPS! Great idea, Lets see, $99.00 for orginal software, more software @$30.00+....Gee I can do that!!!

I DON'T THINK SO TIM!!!! DeLorme has a 30 day return policy which I'm going to take advantage of.

I think the bottom line, is check with the company to make sure you can use your GPS with the software, before you buy!! I think I'm going to go with National Geographic, can't upload it into my GPS, but I can download tracks & waypoints onto the map.