Need help with USAPhoto Maps 1.1

Cracker.

quote:
Originally posted by JDMC:

Is your operating system Windows XP? Are you behind a proxy server firewall?

jdmcox@jdmcox.com

Off topic, but I'm sure many other people are interested as well....

Any chance you wanna drop some hints about any upcoming updates to USA PhotoMaps? *coughtopographicmapdownloadscough* icon_wink.gif

toe.gif

Click the Toe...  and please stop confusing your opinion with fact, ok?

quote:

Is your operating system Windows XP? Are you behind a proxy server firewall?

jdmcox@jdmcox.com

Off topic, but I'm sure many other people are interested as well....

Any chance you wanna drop some hints about any upcoming updates to USA PhotoMaps? *coughtopographicmapdownloadscough* icon_wink.gif

toe.gif

"Any chance you wanna drop some hints about any upcoming updates to USA PhotoMaps?"

I'm working now on zooming out to 64 meters/pixel by downloading 8 meters/pixel photos, and when I get done I'll start working on downloading topo maps, which should be fairly similar. But I'm slow.

Doug,

It's an absolutely killer program. As someone who has given out my share of software, I applaud you, and am so happy to see someone else with the same philosophy. I would like to suggest a feature while I have you. Scrolling seems to be a major pain on a slower computer like a P700. I never ever thought I would be saying that. Could we have a key combo like Alt-Left that would move you a set number of squares? Scrolling is fine, but sometimes I need to jump over quite a bit, and it takes a long time to scroll on my machine.

Keep up the great work.

Fig

quote:
Originally posted by fig:

Doug,

It's an absolutely killer program. As someone who has given out my share of software, I applaud you, and am so happy to see someone else with the same philosophy. I would like to suggest a feature while I have you. Scrolling seems to be a major pain on a slower computer like a P700.

Heh - I have a 500mhz machine... what I usually do is zoom all the way in to the 1m/p level and then scroll to where I need to be - and then zoom back out. It is actually habit to me now, something that I do without even having to think about it... which is probably why I was wondering why a 700mhz machine would be slow, and mine wasn't. icon_smile.gif Cuz I cheat.

toe.gif

quote:
Originally posted by fig:

Doug,

It's an absolutely killer program. As someone who has given out my share of software, I applaud you, and am so happy to see someone else with the same philosophy. I would like to suggest a feature while I have you. Scrolling seems to be a major pain on a slower computer like a P700.

Heh - I have a 500mhz machine... what I usually do is zoom all the way in to the 1m/p level and then scroll to where I need to be - and then zoom back out. It is actually habit to me now, something that I do without even having to think about it... which is probably why I was wondering why a 700mhz machine would be slow, and mine wasn't. icon_smile.gif Cuz I cheat.

toe.gif

You can zoom out to 64 meters/pixel now...

I think I remember trying the full-screen scroll, but it seemed to take the same time as a partial-screen scroll. USAPhotoMaps users really should have a powerful computer, lots of memory, a big hard drive, a big screen, and a fast Internet connection (I'm helping move the computer industry forward).

quote:

USAPhotoMaps users really should have a powerful computer, lots of memory, a big hard drive, a big screen, and a fast Internet connection (I'm helping move the computer industry forward).

No wonder the program is slow for me. I only have 2 of those, a big screen and a fast internet connection. Using a P450 with only 128 meg memory makes scrolling very slow for me. I use the same 'cheat' that Rubbertoe does. icon_smile.gif

I really need to get a better computer. icon_frown.gif

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.

quote:

USAPhotoMaps users really should have a powerful computer, lots of memory, a big hard drive, a big screen, and a fast Internet connection (I'm helping move the computer industry forward).

No wonder the program is slow for me. I only have 2 of those, a big screen and a fast internet connection. Using a P450 with only 128 meg memory makes scrolling very slow for me. I use the same 'cheat' that Rubbertoe does. icon_smile.gif

I really need to get a better computer. icon_frown.gif

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.

Hmmm.......

I have a Gateway PII-400, and the prog scrolls pretty fast for me.

You guys with older computers, try upgrading/maxing out your RAM. Ram is REALLY cheap now.....

I also created a 500MB partition on my harddrive just for my swapfile.

I have 512MB, and a DSL connection....Everything works decently fast for me.

But then again, this is the fastest computer I've ever used. I've never a used a computer with a processor faster than a PII-450, so i have no idea how mine compares to newer computers....

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

http://www.ttora-ne.mainpage.net/

Maybe it's just because I am downloading everything at work, and trying not to get caught Well, I just moved to another house, and since I am closer to the switch, I am back to having a high speed dsl, so I guess it's not a problem anymore. I'll just download it all at home.

Fig

O.K. since Fig let it out of the bag I have a question. I too try to use USAPhotoMaps at work however, when I try to download a photo I get a message that says "not connected to the internet". Now, I have tried this on two different machines at two different locations on the military base where I work and I get the same results. I know I am connected to the internet when I try this. Any thoughts?