GPS MAP76 vs GPS V for Driving and Auto-Routing

Hi all.

Ok. I have a GPS MAP76 and love it! I do all my caching and driving with it.

For driving, I load Mapsource Road & Recreation on my PC and paintakingly create routes manually creating a waypoint at every turn in the route. That way, when I drive, the unit beeps at me and I know that I have to turn up ahead. This whole process is a bit of pain in the butt, but tolerable. The bigger screen makes it easy to view while driving(for me, anyway!)

For months, I have been salivating at getting a GPS V to replace my MAP 76. At this stage, I have read all the features about it and declared that the auto-routing feature is the best thing about it since sliced bread. At a recent geocaching get-togther last weekend, one of the cachers had the unit with him so I got to see one up close for the first time.

I was a tad dissapointed in the screen size first of all. The MAP76 is a little bigger making it easy to follow while driving. I asked the cacher about the auto-routing feature and he said it was a major pain as it would suggest roads that were not there or to go the wrong way up a one-way street etc.

I am having second thoughts about buying the GPS V. I think mainly due to the screen size. The V looks tiny compared to the Map76 and I think eye strain might be forthcoming if I use the V.

Perhaps the auto-routing mishaps the other cacher experienced can be overcome.

My Map76 stands confortably wedged between the bottom of my steering wheel and the top of the dashboard. Can anyone tell me their experiences with the GPS V vs the MAP76 as far as driving goes?

Thanks for reading a long winded entry icon_wink.gif

9929_1400.gif

I don't think you can expect all map datbases to be correct and up to date. I haven't really had any problems with the routing feature on my GPSV. The one nice feature it does have is that if you decide to drive down a different road than the computed route, it automatically recalculates and displays a new route.

The screen is a little hard to read on the dash, but the zoom function helps some and the backlight at night makes it easier to read.

About one way streets, that's an interesting point, I haven't used a route in an area that has a one way grid. Maybe someone else could chime in about that.

Since the GPSV is a top of the line unit, it is hard to fault anything major about it, although you can always nitpick about any unit.

19973_600.gif The adventures of Navdog, Justdog, and Otterpup

quote:
Originally posted by The Artful Dodger:

I am having second thoughts about buying the GPS V. I think mainly due to the screen size. The V looks tiny compared to the Map76 and I think eye strain might be forthcoming if I use the V.

Perhaps the auto-routing mishaps the other cacher experienced can be overcome.

I've used an eMap for over a year...the screen is a bit larger (and of poorer resolution) than the GPS V that I've upgraded to. This reduction in screen size did not bother me in the least bit. The autorouting feature in my opinion is simply awesome...I've never been guided the "wrong way". This may happen though if you are using MetroGuide instead of CitySelect since MetroGuide maps do not contain certain road info like one-way streets and street speed limit data. About the only drawback I've seen with the GPS V is the fixed 19mb map memory. If the GPS V used Garmin data cards (or dare I say SD cards....shame on Garmin for keeping these things proprietary), this would be about the closest unit to perfect I've used. The other thing that goes along with the lack of data card use (of course using the USB data card programmer) is the time it takes to download the map data to the unit...it's not incredibly long (about 35 minutes or so for 19mb) but it's still annoying if you live in a highly populated area like Los Angeles like I do. Venturing out to San Diego requires reloading map data chopping most of LA out of the data set. I for one am very happy with the GPS V. icon_biggrin.gif

If you are letting it guide you to a destination via the auto-routing feature, you don't even hardly need to look at the screen. Doesn't really matter what size it is. It beeps, you look at the big black arrow for turn direction and how far away the turn is and there ya go! The maps don't really matter during auto-routing.

7871_200.jpg

I forgot to mention the quality of the GPS V's backlighting...it's superb. It looks nothing like any of the other GPS's that use electro-luminescent (EL) backlighting which looks yellowish and muddy. The GPS V's backlighting is a very nice crystal clear light-blue with no muddy yellowish cast. The webpage says "high contrast FSTN with bright backlighting". The GPS V does not emit any type of high frequency "whine" which is associated with EL backlighting so this tells me that the backlight is different. Whatever it is, it's as much as a pleasure to use at night as it is in the daytime

Hey, Dodger. The biggest difference between routing with the V & the MAP76, is that with the V, if you go off route,it will recalculate the route on the fly. Or if you're out & about, and you decide to make another unscheduled stop somewhere, you can plug in the location & let the unit autoroute it. With the MAP76, you have to route on the pc & download to the gps. I did quite a bit of routing with the MAP before I got the V, & I'm very satisfied with the V. And if you get the V now, you'll have a shot at getting a (supposedly) very good City Select mapping program option with it. I got boned on City Select when I got mine, because the rural coverage is garbage. They claim to have fixed that with the upcoming update, but for those of us that purchased the unit pre April,we're past the period that Garmin will allow a reduced price on the update. That means that if I want to have the whole US unlock code, like I originally purchased for $100.00, it'll cost me an additional $100.00. All in all, I think you'd be very happy with the V. I have no complaints so far. And the 2 units make a great combo. I run the V for navigation & autorouting and the MAP76 for distance & direction from the road for cache,dashpoint,minutewar flag or whatever.Hope this helps somewhat. icon_smile.gif

9767_500.jpg

"Gimpy"

Considering the complexity of the challenge of determining the "best" way to get from here to there, the autorouting performance is amazingly good. Like you, I used to manually create routes for a GPS III+. The GPS V now has me so spoiled that I wouldn't even consider purchasing another unit without autorouting.

You can also "tweak" the autorouting feature to tailor it to your preferences. I often wonder whether people who are dissatisfied with autorouting are aware of the ways they can customize it.

Worldtraveler

Its good to get various opinions. I appreciate your comments. I have heard that the new 'version' of City Select arrives in June.

It looks like I will consider aquiring the GPS V again.

Hey, Gimpy. Thanks for the pics. I see that the mount that comes with the V is the one that is installed on the dashboard. Is there some other type of mount that prevents a permanent mount? With the MAP76, I have the RAM suction mount that I stick to the instruments display and the unit is nicely positioned where my RPM counter is. I heard that the GPSIII has a 'bean bag' of sorts that is supposed to be reliable - maybe it might be good for the V as well.

9929_1400.gif

quote:
Originally posted by The Artful Dodger:

...With the MAP76, I have the RAM suction mount that I stick to the instruments display and the unit is nicely positioned where my RPM counter is.

Since you've already got the RAM mount, you may findthis will meet your needs pretty inexpensively.

Worldtraveler

I also have a III Plus with the Garmin bean bag mount. Mount does a very good job of holding the III Plus in place. I would have used that for the V, but when I recently picked up the cachemobile in the pic, it had that recessed area in the dash, & immedeiatly figured it would be a great spot for a gps set-up. So, being a machinist, I picked up a polished aluminum plate & modified it to fit right into the recess. Now, when I'm not caching or whatever, I just yank the whole set-up & put it out of site. I also have the RAM mounting bracket for my eMap, that I can put into the set-up in place of the MAP76 for different applications. Anyway, the bean bag mount is a very inexpensive, viable alternative to any permanent mount. It'll do the job for sure. icon_biggrin.gif

"Gimpy"

quote:
Originally posted by worldtraveler:

Since you've already got the RAM mount, you may findhttp://www.gpscity.com/accram/ramhol/ramholga2.html will meet your needs pretty inexpensively.

Worldtraveler

Neat! I did not know that you can buy the top part of the mount separately. In that case, my suction Mount will come in very handy if I buy the V.

Thanks again for the help.

9929_1400.gif

Autorouting is aware of one-way streets, at least in downtown Portland. I simply don't use maps anymore. It does have minor issues; it has directed me to turn right at an intersection that forbade such a turn because of a parallel road that was "merging" into the road I was on at that awkward intersection. However, I just continued straight and was directed on a new correct course within twenty seconds or so.

I have also intentionally deviated off of auto-routed roads to avoid traffic, and allowed it to come up with new routes for me on the fly. There really is no need to use maps anymore (at least in cities)!

Generally, it plans routes about as well as I would by looking on a good detailed map (or even better in some cases, since it seems to have some built-in knowledge about the quality of the roads), since mistakes can be made there as well. It's just that you have no need to pull the map back out if a problem with the route develops, since the V automatically does that for you.

A few times it has given me seemingly unproductive turning instructions on routes to familiar places, and I have followed them out of curiosity. Even in these circumstances, it has always gotten me to my destination and taught me interesting driving alternatives. In about half of these cases, I have discovered excellent hidden shortcuts!

There is one thing that could be improved upon:

If you deviate off course, and you are driving on a continuously twisty, curvy road, it takes autoroute much longer than normal to recalculate for some reason. My workaround is to stop the car on the shoulder for a few seconds to let it catch up with itself. However, if I were map-navigating, I would be stopped much longer unless I had a live navigator riding shotgun -- one who doesn't happen to get car-sick reading maps underway on continuously curvy, twisty roads.

I have no experience with other civilian units, but the V has proven to be an excellent all-around car/bike/hike unit for me.

[This message was edited by smithcon on May 25, 2002 at 06:06 PM.]

I made the mistake of buying it because it was on sale. Had I done a little research I would have known it was on sale because the S version was out already. As for performance, I have nothing to compare it to, and have been very happy with it. I would like to have the extra memory and other features the S model has but, all in all it does the job. I hook it up to my laptop and use it to get around during business travel. Right now I use it with Microsoft Streets & Trips 2002 (Because I already owned it) and its been spot on but Streets does not cross off directions as you complete waypoints on the route. It does track the roads pretty well and the GPS MAP 76 has a little better map built in on it in the Delaware area. Streets is up to date on 2001 but went backwards on 2002 version. (Section around Dover is pre-2001 and out of date but up to date on 2001 version of MS S & T, go figure) Anyway, I use the GPS MAP76 on my bike too and it has a great trip computer. I like the NAV feature but like i said this is my first.