What model GPS is everyone using? II

Guest mcb

Alrighty here is the new tallies as of this post.

Magellan 315: 12

Garmin III+: 12

Garmin eTrex Legend: 12

Garmin Vista: 11

Garmin GPSMAP 76: 9

Garmin eTrex: 5

Garmin 12: 5

Lawrance Globalmap 100:5

Gamrin eTrex Venture: 4

Garmin eTrex Summit: 4

Magellan 330: 3

Garmin eMap: 3

Garmin 12MAP: 3

Magellan 2000XL: 2

Eagle Accunavsport: 2

Garmin 12XL: 2

Garmin GPS 76: 1

Magellan 320: 1

Magellan 330m: 1

Magellan 2000: 1

Garmin: 72

Magellan: 21

Lawrence: 5

Eagle: 2

A couple of notes. eTrex legend gained 7 since my last update. I have also notice that there are five people that own or have owned both the III+ and the GPSMAP 76. I only notice because I am one of these people.

mcb

Guest davis513

Yeah!!! I just received my Garmin Etrex Legend this afternoon and I LOVE IT. This thing is SO easy to use.

I also didn't have a bit of trouble installing the software upgrade that I downloaded from the Garmin web site nor did I have any trouble transferring 5 geocaching waypoints from EasyGPS to the etrex all at once.

I'm looking forward to the weekend and my FIRST Geocache hunt :-)

Guest chrome

Magellan GPS Companion for Handspring Visor. More functionality than 330, excellent map software and maps, WAAS, and I can use any Palm OS GPS app that uses NMEA data! Data is much easier to enter than the video game type of select and press entry. And since you already own the computer and display, you aren't paying for that portion again. This unit retails for $149.00!

Guest CharlieP

It looks like I am the only one using an Apelco/Raytheon GPS11. I bought it a couple of years ago for my boat because it came with the power wiring and bracket for mounting in the boat. It works great on the water, even under the boat top, but not as well under trees, and it does not like power lines at all. Since SA was turned off, I get 20 foot accuracy or better on the water, and can do that well on land if it can lock on 5 or more good satellites.

CharlieP

Guest lhbadman

Garmin 12. Have tried it side by side with E-Trex yellow, the 12 wins hands down for accuracy and tree cover performance. Oldie but goodie, as they say.

I have a Silva Multi Navigator. I think it is marketed under the Brunton brand in the USA.

I'm not sure if there is a problem with the altimeter though. Still working it out.

Has anyone else used one of these?

Guest srogillio

Lowrance Globalmap 100. It is a little big but the details you can download to the unit are great! I use it quite a bit boating and in the map view I can see all the channel markers, their numbers, and colors. It also provides a lot of inland details including waterways, railroads, and rural roads. The CD software includes the details for the entire US but you can only load 2mb at time. I even used in in Costa Rica, although it only had the main roads.

Guest Rubberhead

Right now:

Garmin 38 - I'm selling because I've replaced it

Garmin eTrex Mariner

Garmin 128 Fix-mounted on my cutty cabin boat

I only use the GPSs for fishing & hunting so I don't need the mapping functions, but I can see where a geocacher could really benefit from a mapping unit. I am looking forward to the Garmin Points of Interest CD.

Guest homebru

Add me to the list of Garmin 12 users. This is my first unit and was purchased at a sales persons' recommendation. So far it seems to be working pretty good. I'm 5 for 8 so far but it turns out one of the "misses" had been removed by someone.

Alrighty here is the new tallies as of this post.

By Model

--------

Magellan 315: 14

Garmin eTrex Legend: 13

Garmin III+: 13

Garmin Vista: 12

Garmin GPSMAP 76: 11

Garmin 12: 9

Lawrance Globalmap 100: 8

Garmin eTrex: 7

Garmin eTrex Venture: 5

Magellan 330: 5

Garmin eTrex Summit: 4

Garmin eMap: 3

Garmin 12MAP: 3

Garmin 12XL: 3

Garmin III: 2

Magellan 2000XL: 2

Eagle Accunavsport: 2

Garmin GPS 76: 1

Garmin eTrex Mariner: 1

Magellan 320: 1

Magellan 330m: 1

Magellan 2000: 1

GeoDiscovery Geode: 1

Magellan for HandSpring: 1

Apelco/Ratheon GPS11: 1

Eagle Explorer: 1

Silva Multi Navigator: 1

By Brand

--------

Garmin: 87

Magellan: 25

Lawrence: 8

Eagle: 3

Apelco/Ratheon: 1

Silva: 1

mcb

Guest Artful Dodger

MCB,

This might be a good time to continue this thread in a Part III new thread.

Wadya say? rolleyes.gif

Dodger

[This message has been edited by Artful Dodger (edited 28 June 2001).]

Guest bridaw

Add another eTrex Legend to the count! I just bought a secondary/backup (toy) unit today off of eBay.

My primary unit was already counted from my post on 11 June 2001 12:42 AM (GPS III+).

-------------

Brian & Terry

San Diego, CA

[This message has been edited by bridaw (edited 28 June 2001).]