What model GPS is everyone using? II

Guest mcb

The original thread was getting really long and had many varying conversations intermingled in it. So I thought I would try to start a new thread. When you reply keep it very simple and to the point. See my next post. After a few days I will tally up the totals. If you posted to the previous thread please post again and if you haven't please feel free to post yours here. Just post the make and model of all the GPS units you are presently using.

Thanks

mcb

[This message has been edited by mcb (edited 11 May 2001).]

Guest n6mhg

Garmin eMap. Walmart, $169.change.

No accessories, yet, but soon.

I'm happy in spite of the note below.

Note: I had to return my first eMap after

a week because it kept locking up completely. Couldn't even turn it off. Had to remove a battery to shut down. Locked up 4 times, 3 of which were when it was just sitting there receiving.

Guest Manuel Casillas

garmin 12map

used it offten backpacking worked fine.

Only one cache found so far but it worked fine.

Guest robamy

I am happy to say that I am now using the Garmin eTrex Vista! I am also using the Garmin GPS III.

Today my wife surprised me with the Vista as a four-year anniversary gift! What a great present. I had no idea she was going to give me this!

Guest Moun10Bike

Previously:

Garmin GPS 38

Garmin 12XL

Garmin GPS III

Currently:

Garmin GPS III+

Garmin eTrex Vista

Garmin GPSMAP 76

Yes, I am an addict! icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Moun10Bike (edited 12 May 2001).]

Guest Moun10Bike

Previously:

Garmin GPS 38

Garmin 12XL

Garmin GPS III

Currently:

Garmin GPS III+

Garmin eTrex Vista

Garmin GPSMAP 76

Yes, I am an addict! icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Moun10Bike (edited 12 May 2001).]

Guest gstrong1

Garmin GPS III Plus

Garmin eTrex Vista

Garmin MAP76

All 3 great units!

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

[This message has been edited by gstrong1 (edited 15 June 2001).]

Guest Rich in NEPA

Question for Moun10Bike: for comparison's sake, what opinions have you formed so far regarding the performance and accuracy of the various Garmin units you've owned/used? I've been considering upgrading from my 12XL, but I seem to have gotten the impression that the E-Trex series doesn't have the signal reception performance in tree cover as the older 12-series or the III+. What about the GPSMAP 76? How is it for reception? Are you in an area where you can receive the WAAS corrections? If you could have only one of these (or any other) units, which would you choose and why? Anyone else have comments? TIA. ~~Rich~~

Guest Moun10Bike

quote:
Originally posted by Rich in NEPA:

Question for Moun10Bike: for comparison's sake, what opinions have you formed so far regarding the performance and accuracy of the various Garmin units you've owned/used? I've been considering upgrading from my 12XL, but I seem to have gotten the impression that the E-Trex series doesn't have the signal reception performance in tree cover as the older 12-series or the III+.

I have not run any scientific tests yet, but I have to say that I am not getting the same reception with the Vista that I have with my older 12-channel units. I have not had enough time with the unit yet to be 100% sure about this, though. I have not had and problems finding caches so far, but I have noticed more "wandering" of location when under heavy cover than I did with my III+. I definitely have a harder time maintaining lock with the Vista mounted in the car, but I think that this is because the orientation required for me to see the screen from the driver's seat prevents the patch antenna from getting the best view of the sky. I've also wondered if my problems in the woods are due to me not holding the unit correctly (with the patch facing up) as much as needed.

Next week I'll be doing some biking in the forests, so I will be better able to report on the performance of the Vista then.

quote:
What about the GPSMAP 76? How is it for reception?

I probably should have listed the GPSMAP 76 under "coming" rather than "currently!" icon_smile.gif I still haven't yet received it. Once I do, I'll post my observations on its performance.

quote:
Are you in an area where you can receive the WAAS corrections?

Yes (Seattle), although the satellites are very low in the sky here. I need a pretty clear view of the horizon to get them, so I don't expect to be able to take full advantage of this feature for a while in most of my GPS uses (mountain biking, geocaching, hiking, dual-sport motorcycling).

quote:
If you could have only one of these (or any other) units, which would you choose and why?

Not counting the GPSMAP yet, I'd have to say the Vista. I love the memory capacity, the size, the screen clarity, and the altimeter and compass functions. If I determine that it really does have worse reception than the other units, though, I will have to change my opinion.

Guest Moun10Bike

quote:
Originally posted by Rich in NEPA:

Question for Moun10Bike: for comparison's sake, what opinions have you formed so far regarding the performance and accuracy of the various Garmin units you've owned/used? I've been considering upgrading from my 12XL, but I seem to have gotten the impression that the E-Trex series doesn't have the signal reception performance in tree cover as the older 12-series or the III+.

I have not run any scientific tests yet, but I have to say that I am not getting the same reception with the Vista that I have with my older 12-channel units. I have not had enough time with the unit yet to be 100% sure about this, though. I have not had and problems finding caches so far, but I have noticed more "wandering" of location when under heavy cover than I did with my III+. I definitely have a harder time maintaining lock with the Vista mounted in the car, but I think that this is because the orientation required for me to see the screen from the driver's seat prevents the patch antenna from getting the best view of the sky. I've also wondered if my problems in the woods are due to me not holding the unit correctly (with the patch facing up) as much as needed.

Next week I'll be doing some biking in the forests, so I will be better able to report on the performance of the Vista then.

quote:
What about the GPSMAP 76? How is it for reception?

I probably should have listed the GPSMAP 76 under "coming" rather than "currently!" icon_smile.gif I still haven't yet received it. Once I do, I'll post my observations on its performance.

quote:
Are you in an area where you can receive the WAAS corrections?

Yes (Seattle), although the satellites are very low in the sky here. I need a pretty clear view of the horizon to get them, so I don't expect to be able to take full advantage of this feature for a while in most of my GPS uses (mountain biking, geocaching, hiking, dual-sport motorcycling).

quote:
If you could have only one of these (or any other) units, which would you choose and why?

Not counting the GPSMAP yet, I'd have to say the Vista. I love the memory capacity, the size, the screen clarity, and the altimeter and compass functions. If I determine that it really does have worse reception than the other units, though, I will have to change my opinion.

Guest daver

Garmin III+ Posted this in the other thread also. (oops) Basically, like this unit as it works great, and functions well in the field as well as in my car as a road navigator. Good choice if you will buy only one.

Guest Anton

Garmin 12MAP

It's a Garmin III+ in a 12-series case.

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno - N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

Guest dusty

quote:
Originally posted by lokicat:

Im using an ancient Magellan 2000

I just gave my Magellan trailblazer to a youngster. I've purchased a Lowrance Globalmap 100, which I really like. Am I the only one that has one ?

Brian

Guest EraSeek

Old: Garmin 45XL

New: Garmin 12

Just fine for me. Good reception, not into Emaps yet, just old fashion paper ones. I own a compass and alt.

Guest jrhayden

Garmin eTrex Summit.

The compass is great for Geocache hunting. I also love the altitude features, and the rugged design, including a tough glass front.

Guest Da Big Guy

Garmin GPS76 - $216.00 from Boat/US.

I use mine for site surveys at golf courses and for marking diving locations.

I ride a Suzuki 1400, and have pretty much replaced my speedo using this unit...

I found that the speedo is off by 4mph (high) at 65, and off by 9 at 95.

I made a holder from 4" nylon webbing and can attach it to the handlebars, or can strap it to my forearm.

I also like the tracking portion of the '76... I use GPS Utility 4.02.1 - http://www.gpsu.co.uk/ to download and upload points, routes and tracks to the GPS 76...the track feature is really nice, gives you a map of your travel and you can sync a bitmap overlay on your track. Nice shareware!!

Alrighty here is the tally to date.

Magellan 315: 8

Garmin Vista: 6

Garmin III+: 5

Garmin 12: 4

Garmin eTrex Summit: 3

Lawrance Globalmap 100:3

Garmin GPSMAP 76: 2

Garmin eTrex: 2

Garmin eTrex Legend: 2

Gamrin eTrex Venture: 2

Garmin 12MAP: 2