New Street Atlas 9.0 and Maps and Trips 2002

Guest bwware

Guest Prime Suspect

Street Atlas 9.0 will hopefully fix the routing that they screwed up in 8.0. Many of the routes 8.0 comes up with are just insane. Street Atlas USA Deluxe looks to be a better product, with the ability to add new roads yourself, that the program can use in routing.

[This message has been edited by Prime Suspect (edited 17 August 2001).]

Guest Prime Suspect

quote:
Originally posted by bwware:

Yeah, I noticed that. The same trip Street Atlas 8.0 tells me will take 6hours 55mins, Streets and Trips tells me it will take 6 hours 11mins! I mean, whats up with that?

In SA 8.0 they made a move to improve real-time driving directions, and to do this, they split major highways and interstates into separate lanes for each direction. They also included on- and off-ramp data. Unfortunately, the software now doesn't realize that many roads are actually connected. So the routing function may take you miles out of your way to get from point A to point B (surface streets seem okay, but highways are really screwed up). Also, when uploading a SA route to your GPS, the on- and off-ramps take up valuable waypoints.

I'll probably get either SA 9.0 or SA Deluxe when they come out, because SA is invaluable for creating maps for my bike club, but will probably rely on the new Garman MapSource coming out soon, since it's supposed to have automatic routing capabilities.