city select, garmin gps V and the cost is?

i remember reading here that you could buy the V, send for the updated CD city select and end up paying $50.00 for the all region unlock code. Has anybody done this. Their scenarios are very unclear about this. I remember seeing under the Bob story that at the bottom they mentioned the $50.00 charge but I don't see it anymore.

Seems that "someone" has removed the line in the last paragraph about Bob that promised a CS all unlock for $50. I had actually emailed garmin cartography about this and was assured that we'd be able to get an all-unlock for $50. However, me thinks that we're about to get the ol' "Sorry about the typo on our website and the inconvience it might have caused. That'll be $100 please."

I don't think anyone could have tried this yet as it can't be done until the update ships (which garmin in now listing as 7/3/02).

...TheCacheCrew...

Yes, very interesting. I've written a email to Garmin cartography requesting clarification. I'll post it when they reply. I'll be disappointed if the total unlock is 100.00. It may force me to consider other software where all this unlock BS is unnecessary. Does anyone recall what the consensus was regarding City Select versus Metroguide?

They may try and call the $50 upgrade a typo, but I have an email directly from Garmin saying that this is so. Garmin is definitely saying you can unlock all regions for $50 as long as you unlocked your first, free region AFTER a certain date. I think the date is April 24?. If you unlocked before that date, you pay full price.

quote:
Originally posted by Chaplain:

Does anyone recall what the consensus was regarding City Select versus Metroguide?

Supposedly, the new CS will have much of what is available on MG. That is not apparently the case for the old CS as I've read numerous posts in the past stating that unless you lived in (and didn't travel out of) the major cities in CS, MG was the better map. When I bought my GPS V, I tried to buy MG along with it, but the great folks at tvnav.com recommended waiting. They understood that the CS update would be as or more comprehensive than MG, and with the $50 update, a better deal, too.

FWIW,

...TheCacheCrew...

My understanding was that CitySelect had the routing information necessary to make the GPS V's autoroute function work properly, and was only available with the purchase of a V.

Whereas Metraguide has some address information, but not routing information, and those maps won't work with the V's autoroute functionality.

Am I wrong about this?

-- Mitch

I have no CS maps on my V at the moment (poor detail where I live). MG 4.01 autorouting works on both the PC and on the V. As SergZak has cautioned in the past, though, MG is less accurate than CS about some road restrictions (one way streets, speed limits, etc.)

FWIW,

...TheCacheCrew...

Received a reply from Garmin this morning, here it is:

"Thank you for contacting GARMIN.

That is true for City Navigator...but not City Select. For City Select, if you unlocked your original region after 4-22-02, you can get your single region for free...OR you can unlock "all" on the new CD for $50.

The ship date for the Update CD's slipped a bit. They should start going after July 3. Sorry for any inconvenience with that....

Thank you again for your interest in GARMIN GPS."

Have a great 4th of July

God Bless America

does this mean that if Buy a gps V after the 4th, I will get a new disk and will have to pay for each region, but if I get the old disk, I can get the new disk with all regions for $50? I was planning on getting one soon, maybe end of july or beginning of AUG. but perhaps I should run out and get it now. what do you all think?

quote:
Originally posted by Dejapooh:

does this mean that if Buy a gps V after the 4th, I will get a new disk and will have to pay for each region, but if I get the old disk, I can get the new disk with all regions for $50?

The CS update in the GPS V deluxe comes as an all-unlock. That's what makes it "deluxe" in Garmin's world. You pay for the all-unlock up front when you buy the GPSr. Whether it makes sense to buy now and upgrade later or wait for the deluxe I don't know - I haven't been watching prices for the deluxe. We reasoned out pricing for a deluxe upgrade in this thread and it seemed like a good deal at the time (and I couldn't wait any longer to part with my money).

...TheCacheCrew...

quote:
Originally posted by TheCacheCrew:

I have no CS maps on my V at the moment (poor detail where I live). MG 4.01 autorouting works on both the PC and on the V. As SergZak has cautioned in the past, though, MG is less accurate than CS about some road restrictions (one way streets, speed limits, etc.)

FWIW,

...TheCacheCrew...

Just went to the Garmin web site, where you can play with their cartography & checked out the updated City Select 4.01. I pulled up a rural area near me & compared the coverage detail between the CS updated version, the original CS that came with my V, Metrogide 3.0 & Metroguide 4.01. In the area that I checked, City Select 4.01 had even better coverage than Metroguide 4.01. If thats the case in all areas, this might be the best stuff yet. Any body else tried any comparisons in their area? I pre-ordered the updated cd, which supposedly was going to ship 7/3, and am awaiting it's arrival. My dilema is that I purchased my V in March, & purchased the whole US & Canada unlock code at that time for $100.00. Because my purchase date was before the update release date, it'll cost me an additional $100.00 for the whole US unlock update. icon_mad.gif I have to decide if this mapping program is worth the $200.00 investment. I sent an e-mail off to Garmin with my dilema, and their reply didn't show a whole lot of concern for the fact that I missed the free update by weeks. icon_mad.gif Not sure what I'm going to do, but the original City Select, unless I'm staying within a large city area, is pretty much useless without the update. icon_confused.gif

"Gimpy"

quote:
Originally posted by TheCacheCrew:

FWIW,

...TheCacheCrew...

Just went to the Garmin web site, where you can play with their cartography & checked out the updated City Select 4.01. I pulled up a rural area near me & compared the coverage detail between the CS updated version, the original CS that came with my V, Metrogide 3.0 & Metroguide 4.01. In the area that I checked, City Select 4.01 had even better coverage than Metroguide 4.01. If thats the case in all areas, this might be the best stuff yet. Any body else tried any comparisons in their area? I pre-ordered the updated cd, which supposedly was going to ship 7/3, and am awaiting it's arrival. My dilema is that I purchased my V in March, & purchased the whole US & Canada unlock code at that time for $100.00. Because my purchase date was before the update release date, it'll cost me an additional $100.00 for the whole US unlock update. icon_mad.gif I have to decide if this mapping program is worth the $200.00 investment. I sent an e-mail off to Garmin with my dilema, and their reply didn't show a whole lot of concern for the fact that I missed the free update by weeks. icon_mad.gif Not sure what I'm going to do, but the original City Select, unless I'm staying within a large city area, is pretty much useless without the update. icon_confused.gif

"Gimpy"