GPS MAP 76s functional case anyone?

R-A-M makes a belt clip to hold the Garmin 76 series which would make the gps operational with a good view of the sky while wearing it but it is not really a case as such where the unit is totally enclosed. I looked on the RAM web site and couldn't pin it down but I do know that CABELA'S sporting catalog has them listed for the 76. They look like the way to go as all buttons are accessible and the gps can be removed without unzipping or opening anything. CABELA'S number is 1-800-237-4444 and I am sure they can help you. The order number is AD-01-5209 for the belt clip type and you need to order 005 for the one that is for the 76S I would get one myself but I have already coughed up the money for the Garmin case which is almost worthless as far as having the unit tracking while wearing it on your belt. Let me know if you get one and if works out.

sidewinde

LOST AND FOUND DEPT

I second JPatton about the case from The GPS Store. I have had my case for about 6 months now and as far as I am concerned it is great. There is a hole in the back so you can attach an external antenna and the clear plastic screen protects everything while still allowing for easy reading. When I dropped my unit onto my concrete driveway icon_redface.gif I was afraid to pick it up however, all was well, no scratches, and it works fine. The case definately is worth the price. icon_smile.gif

Shegget; I have noticed no drop in performance using the case from The GPS Store. If you look at the picture on their website, the blue portion is made of a stretchable, soft, spongey, neoprene-like material. Then you have a heavy clear plastic front. My 76S only comes out of the case for battery changes, software updates, and downloading waypoints. A must have.

Just wanted to say the neoprene case is awesome... I bought one after hearing about it here. Thanks for the recommendation!

The neoprene doesn't seem to affect the reception at all. I held the 76S up to a window with only the neoprene back facing out the window, and successfully picked up 4 satellites quickly icon_smile.gif

I made one small mod to the case though... I cut out a section just below the belt clip on the back of the case so that I can flip up the rubber seal and hook up the 76S to a laptop/cigarette lighter adapter without taking the GPS out of the case. Now it's pretty much perfect icon_smile.gif

sean

Everything he said...

quote:
Originally posted by shegget:

Just wanted to say the neoprene case is awesome... I bought one after hearing about it here. Thanks for the recommendation!

The neoprene doesn't seem to affect the reception at all. I held the 76S up to a window with only the neoprene back facing out the window, and successfully picked up 4 satellites quickly icon_smile.gif

I made one small mod to the case though... I cut out a section just below the belt clip on the back of the case so that I can flip up the rubber seal and hook up the 76S to a laptop/cigarette lighter adapter without taking the GPS out of the case. Now it's pretty much perfect icon_smile.gif

sean

additionally, I have the RAM RAP base & 76 holder for my dash. Most of the time I use the 76S while driving w/o the neoprene case, but when caching in and out of the car I slip the 76 into the RAM/RAP holder case and all. It slips into the lower "finders" of the holder and the side pressure is enough that I don't slip the top of the GPS into the holder. I know this is a convoluted message, but hopefully those who've seen a RAM holder will understand.

For a better picture of the RAM Friction Dash Mount - Click Here

BE200.jpg

ramweightedbasega6.jpg

"Never have a philosophy which supports a lack of courage..."

[This message was edited by Us 5 Camp on February 18, 2003 at 07:46 AM.]

Thanks jpatton for the post on the 76S gps case from The GPS Store. You should get a commission from them on that post. I got mine today and love the way it looks and works. Like the way even the lanyard holds the gps in the upright position. Never could figure why the lanyard connection point on most gpsr is always on the bottom of the unit so it hangs downward and looses sat. position. Thanks again on this thread.

sidewinder

LOST AND FOUND DEPT.

I purchsed a lightly padded case made by Outdoor Products from REI. It has a flap-top with velcro to hold the unit in. The case itself is constructed of black cordura. On the back of it, if has two vertical flaps with velcro lined with some rubbery sticky stuff which I am guessing is to hold it in place, so the case can attach to a belt, or backpack. If my memory serves me correctly it was only $10. The model number is 1239U-008.

Hope this helps.

TerraX