Garmin Vista vs. Magellan Meridian Platinum

I would like to hear from any users of the subject units. I am considering buying one or the other. I would like to know if there is marketable difference in the display clarity, and which software is more user friendly and complete.

Also, how often do you find the barometric altimeter to be useful in respect to hiking/general use. I am located in the southwest where we have a lot of mountains. Thank you in advance for you input.

You can probably find thousands of messages on this very subject in the message archives. Some of the threads sound like a holy war.

Bottom line, both are fine units, neither is perfect. I have a Vista for reasons I have elaborated on before, in brief, I like the small size, light weight, and extended temperature range. Since I take an altimeter to the mountains anyway, the Vista's built-in barometric altimeter helps it 'earn its ounces'.

That said, loading 24M of map memory via a serial cable is a 40 minute pain. If I did a lot of map swapping, SD cards (with a PC writer!), would be really nice. Also, the Vista's display is a lot higher resolution than the Meridian's, but it is physically smaller. A larger screen would be more practical in a car, and the Meridian's larger size and weight probably make it less prone to fly around during daredevil manuevers (which seem more common when you are watching a GPS instead of the road icon_wink.gif ).

I'd suggest playing with both at a store. Pick the one that just seems 'right' for you, and know that, since they are both good units, you can't really go wrong.

-jjf

You can probably find thousands of messages on this very subject in the message archives. Some of the threads sound like a holy war.

Bottom line, both are fine units, neither is perfect. I have a Vista for reasons I have elaborated on before, in brief, I like the small size, light weight, and extended temperature range. Since I take an altimeter to the mountains anyway, the Vista's built-in barometric altimeter helps it 'earn its ounces'.

That said, loading 24M of map memory via a serial cable is a 40 minute pain. If I did a lot of map swapping, SD cards (with a PC writer!), would be really nice. Also, the Vista's display is a lot higher resolution than the Meridian's, but it is physically smaller. A larger screen would be more practical in a car, and the Meridian's larger size and weight probably make it less prone to fly around during daredevil manuevers (which seem more common when you are watching a GPS instead of the road icon_wink.gif ).

I'd suggest playing with both at a store. Pick the one that just seems 'right' for you, and know that, since they are both good units, you can't really go wrong.

-jjf

What type of antenna does the Meridian have? The Vista, though costly, does not have a quad helix antenna so the performance suffers in foliage. I'm not saying this because I own a Magellan - I'm saying this because I own a Vista and I'm a Garmin distributor. NOw, I can't WAIT for the Rino to come out... a two-way radio with an awesome GPS AND a quad helix antenna. A quad helix males all the difference in the world as far as reception, however, it uses slightly more battery power. It the Marindiam has this, i;d pick it over the other. If not, let me know - I sell the Vista for $300.00

Mark

http://www.geonavigation.com