Meridian 5.12 firmware

embra

The newest firmware version for Golds/Plats is in the files section at the Yahoo Meridian Users group. Wyatt already posted some comments about it in this topic, but I thought I'd try to start a new topic and not completely hijack that one.

I downloaded and installed it without problem. After playing around with it a little bit, I can offer these impressions:

1. I didn't really encounter any difficulties or bugs in my typical use. It seemed to lock on quickly, and the battery gauge seemed to more accurately reflect a full charge on my NiMH rechargeables.

2. I can verify Wyatt's hunch about the "Total Distance" field, which offers the total distance to the end of a route and not just to the next waypoint. I like that. (Still no estimate of time to reach the end of route).

3. I think the position indicator in the map screen has been shifted to the middle of the screen for North Up. Wasn't it closer to the bottom in 4.0x, like for Course Up or Track Up?

Not much else that I can add to Wyatt's report. I wasn't particularly trying to put it through its paces.

(hope this goes through...and that it doesn't go through twice. I'm experiencing a lot of sluggishness on in the forums tonight)

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

My Platinum is staying at 4.06, even though Magellan still has only 4.02 listed for the GPS.

Sounds like there are some bugs that need to be stomped out in 5.12

Id rather have a Meridian Platinum, than a Meridian Paper weight.

----------------------------------------------------------

Pictures of the insides of my Old GPS V

My Home Page about what is GPS

Strange

[This message was edited by GOT GPS? on October 13, 2003 at 11:44 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by embra:

3. I think the position indicator in the map screen has been shifted to the middle of the screen for North Up. Wasn't it closer to the bottom in 4.0x, like for Course Up or Track Up?

From what I can remember, I think the position has always been in the center of the north-up screen. I rarely used course-up or track-up, but when I did, I noticed the difference. I checked my SporTrak Color, running 4.08, and it does the same thing - position in the center for north-up.

FWIW,

-Craig/TeamCNJC

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took off through the thorns, chest high, ...

quote:
Originally posted by GOT GPS?:

My Platinum is staying at 4.06, even though Magellan still has only 4.02 listed for the GPS.

Sounds like there are some bugs that need to be stomped out in 5.12

Id rather have a Meridian Platinum, than a Meridian Paper weight.

----------------------------------------------------------

--edited out the urls - they made the page go wide.-- TL

[This message was edited by GOT GPS? on October 13, 2003 at 11:44 AM.]

Fwiw, each version has its own set of bugs. That's why the upgrades to them. Deciding to stay just means you're happy with the devil you know.

Cheers!

TL

In every firmware version that I can recall (confidently back to 2.03 or so; less so back to 1.08), track up and course up has placed your position about 2/3 (3/4) down on the screen to give you the maximum view ahead. North up places it in the center.

It's a major reason I run track up - if I'm heading east, I can see about 3x as much ahead of me without dorking with panning or zoom levels.

I just noted something very interesting. I couldn't get my two sensors on any version downgrade, so I went back to 5.12 and started doing some reading on the Yahoo Group. It turns out this FW upgrade sometimes requires the compass to be calibrated. I did this and as noted in the group, the it required the extended calibration which takes you through all kinds of gyrations. Directly afterward, my 2 sensors were back on line. Coincidence?

Cheers!

TL

quote:
Originally posted by Insp Gadget:

I upgraded to 5.12 and everything works fine so far. Anyone know if there is a complete list of the changes made to this upgrade? I wonder if they fixed the tracking problem?

A user over in Australia verified the lag problem has been resolved.

Cheers!

TL

I've got the Baro/Temp displays on mine...I think you may have to do a compass calibration before it shows up.

AFAIK no list of feature updates is yet available as this is a pre-release version (supposedly it is to be on the web site within a week or two; if so I would expect to see that list there).

Tracking has looked good to me so far, IG. Are you referring to the chicken-track thing on corners? 4.06 had seemed to take care of that for me.

Max

I did the 5.12 upgrade last night with no problems. After calibrating the compass everything seemed to work fine. However,

this morning while messing around with the GPS (A MeriPlat) I noted the 180 degree compass error. As with the 4.06 firmware this was "fixed" by doing Menu>Setup>Compass Orientation and toggling between magnetic north and GPS course.

I was really hoping that if there was one thing that the update fixed, it would have been this bug! Hopefully next time!

Went from 3.12 to 5.12 on my Plat. Only problem was when it was down uploading, the GPS locked up. Pulled the bats, all is fine. Compass seems to be fine......

--------------------------------------------------

When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

This firmware is also being released on the new Direct Route software being offered for the Magellans, allowing a lot of models to route trips via streets, not just line of sight. I am waiting for this to be released first before I upgrade.

I know for a fact that the Meridian Platinum and Color are both supported units. I have the Platinum. I can't wait, even though it means shelling out $124, but it beats having to use a laptop for street directions or buying another much more expensive unit.

---

Brad Buskey

http://www.deckyon.com

N38:17.281, W85:32.998

deckyon@NOSPAM.sturm.org

Magellan Meridian Platinum

quote:
Originally posted by CWL:

I have a Meridian Color, has anyone loaded 5.12 on a Meridan Color?

In the past, there have been different versions of firmware for Plat/Gold and Color units. I would suggest NOT trying to load mgold_512.hex into a color unit. Either wait until version 5 firmware is posted for the Meridian color, or call Magellan and complain about not being able to use a brand-new 128MB Sandisk SD card with your Meridian color, and ask them to send you the new firmware so that you're able to use your new GPS, and not have to return it. icon_smile.gif

-Craig/TeamCNJC

I finished the SD card update of the firmware and all is well (after the compass recalibration circus act). But now when I select a goto point the line on the map screen is a greyed line (not dark black like it used to be) is there a way to change this?

Other than that, the screens seem to switch a lil faster and the battery calibration seems better for NiMh as well....

Team Happy face - DyverDown, Scubaweeble and The Ham Boy (It's a LONG story)

quote:
Originally posted by TeamCNJC:

Either wait until version 5 firmware is posted for the Meridian color, or call Magellan and complain about not being able to use a brand-new 128MB Sandisk SD card with your Meridian color, and ask them to send you the new firmware so that you're able to use your new GPS, and not have to return it. icon_smile.gif

As I said before I'm using 4.02 and my 128MB Scandisk still works fine. I'd just like to use the new firmware. It usually fix bugs, but I think I'll wait unitll I hear that someone else has upgraded thier MeridiColor.

Been there... Done that...

quote:
Originally posted by phantom4099:

Any one else having problems with the waypoints showing up on the screen, even when they are all turned off? Seems like I have to turn them on, then off to make them disapear.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

Mine seems to work ok. I tried loading the waypoints and then cycling the power, then with them loaded turn them off. Cycling the power and they stay off.

Cheers!

TL

Well, I tried to do the automatic upgrade via the SD card and it failed (just like a few others on the Yahoo group forum). So I had to do the 3 finger salute to shut down and force it into the software upgrade mode. Used the expert settings in the magup file and it loaded with no problems. Left the MeriPlat on my dashboard as I took my lunch break to let it download a full almanac, so now I'm good to go.

Eamus Catuli!

ChiTown Cachers * Keenpeople.com Stats

Even 4.02 has its bugs. I decided to take the leap because of the improvement over the "slingshot lag" that I read about. The unit does perceptably lock on a bit quicker although I never timed it from either version.

I did note, though, the tracking seems to be a bit more responsive. I.e. it doesn't take as much movement to get the unit track in the right direction. I quickly pivot 180° and it tries to keep up.

It's an improvement until they come out with v6.xx. bad_boy_a.gif

Cheers!

TL

Slingshot lag is where the GPS has a tendancy to show too large of a distace to the waypoint. You end up walking about 50' past the cache and then turn around to find it.

I usually counteract this by stopping at about 100' away and watch the GPS "count down" in distance until it settles out.

This version (5.12) seems to eliminate that lag from the quick trials I've put it thru.

Eamus Catuli!

Re: Slingshot Lag

I just recently noticed it only because I was in a hurry to find a cache. Normally when I get close to a location I stop or slow down to start looking around for obvious signs, typically putting the GPS down to free up my hands and let the averaging do its thing.

The Magellans have this averaging going on which tends to slow down the real track by just a few seconds. It's more noticeable when you're traveling at 60MPH (by 1/10th mile or more) rather than 3MPH, but if you try to walk right up to ground zero, the averaging can actually have you walking past it. Then as you stop and look around, discover you may have to backtrack about 30 feet or so. It's more noticeable under heavier foliage and inside the home than it is out in the wide open. Anyway, somebody coined this event as a slingshot effect.

I haven't had much chance to test the improvement myself except in the home, but I have noticed the tracking seems to be more responsive to smaller movements, so can only presume the code for averaging has been reduced or improved upon to make it quicker.

The gentleman in Australia actually took it on a ride on his bike (bicycle?) and noted the lag wasn't as bad as in previous versions.

I never saw the smear, but I have seen the chicken tracks but never worried about that as it appears to correct itself and I used it to show my active track versus my previous tracks I might have crossed over or walked in parallel.

Cheers!

TL

quote:
Originally posted by Stunod:

Well, I tried to do the automatic upgrade via the SD card and it failed (just like a few others on the Yahoo group forum).

Stunod,

Just wondering - the SD card you tried to upgrade from - was it formatted in the GPSr, or was it formatted somewhere else? I had trouble basemap switching using the SD card until I formatted the card in my MeriGold - now it comes off without a hitch, as did my 5.12 upgrade, and my personalized 5.12 upgrade.

-Craig/TeamCNJC

quote:
Originally posted by TeamCNJC:

Stunod,

Just wondering - the SD card you tried to upgrade from - was it formatted in the GPSr, or was it formatted somewhere else?

I have never formatted the card (it came preformatted), but I've been using it to hold my maps for some time now. I've seen some people comment about having trouble if there are map files on the card...I left mine on there. Plus I think I forgot to clear the memory first (as is recommended).

Eamus Catuli!

If anybody can figure out the Proximity Alarm feature, I'd be beholdin'. I figure the alarm is supposed to go off when one comes within a set range of waypoints in general...but when I tried driving by a few waypoints today I got no response. Anybody get the feature to work?

Wonder if it has anything to do with DirectRoute? (though I'd be surprised)

Max

"If anybody can figure out the Proximity Alarm feature, I'd be beholdin'. I figure the alarm is supposed to go off when one comes within a set range of waypoints in general...but when I tried driving by a few waypoints today I got no response. Anybody get the feature to work?"

Good question. I went to find a cache this morning and had the proximety alarm on and set for 2km. Around 2.8km away from said cache, the GPS started beeping slowly for about 20 seconds then switchjed to a faster beep and showed that I was getting slow to the waypoint. It did not work when I was just driving by a cache, but seemed only to work when I had a certain waypoint in the goto.

I have a question. On the map screen, when I pressed Menu and Select Map Items (I forget the exact name of the menu name) there was a selection called Current Manouveur (sp?). I selected it but found no change to what I was doing. Anyone know what this does?

quote:
Originally posted by Insp Gadget:

Good question. I went to find a cache this morning and had the proximety alarm on and set for 2km. Around 2.8km away from said cache, the GPS started beeping slowly for about 20 seconds then switchjed to a faster beep and showed that I was getting slow to the waypoint. It did not work when I was just driving by a cache, but seemed only to work when I had a certain waypoint in the goto.

That is how the arrival alarm functions (i.e., it must be set as the active GOTO or the next waypoint in the leg of a route). Are you sure that only your Proximity alarm was set, and not the arrival also?

edit: no need to check on that, IG, you were right. I put a waypoint down outside, walked around a bit, and got the same results. This is what I think is going on--with Arrival and Proximity alarms activated, one must set an active GOTO. When one gets within the set distance of arrival, the arrival alarm sounds (quick beeps and message appears, as in 4.0x). The proximity alarm will start to sound when is within the range set for proximity *to* the defined arrival boundary, and is distinguished by a slower beep.

So, for example, I set Arrival and Proximity for 100 feet (both). As I approached the waypoint, the proximity alarm sounded at 200 feet away, and then the arrival sounded at 100 feet. (Actually, I observed that the critical distances were the set range plus current EPE reading).

The only inconsistency with your report is that you heard both the slow and quick beep with (apparently) only the proximity alarm set. When I had only proximity set, I only heard slow beeps.

So I guess the proximity alarm is a sort of early warning that one is about to arrive. I'm not too sure that's going to be especially useful, as the arrival alarm seems to cover that need well enough for me. We'll see.

Max

[This message was edited by embra on October 15, 2003 at 07:03 PM.]

Originally posted by embra:

That is how the arrival alarm functions (i.e., it must be set as the active GOTO or the next waypoint in the leg of a route). Are you sure that only your Proximity alarm was set, and not the arrival also?

That's what I thought at first, but I immediately double checked and only the proximity alarm was set.

If Embra's observation is correct - and clues appear to be in no short supply with him - then that isn't proximity alarms at all in the sense that they're used in other GPS systems.

Traditional parlance has it that one can activate proximity alarms for, say, 1/4 mile from every waypoint and start driving and have the unit bang your gong if you happened to be within 1/4 mile of one of those waypoints. It needs to to off for EVERY waypoint with proximity set and not just the one in the active goto to match industry practice.

Or am I being too shrub-like in my understanding of what you said, embra?

I've never known the Meridian alarm to be used as a proximity alarm for any stored waypoint--in fact I never considered that idea, but I like it.

When I used to have my eTrex, I could put the screen on the "nearest waypoints" and watch as they were updated realtime. I knew if I was near a cache easily.

With my Meridian, the nearest waypoint page is not updated unless you leave the screen and come back, making casual caching much less convenient.

I don't have 5.12 yet, but from embra's description, it doesn't sound like the Meridian has an alarm to tell you when you are close to any waypoint.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by robertlipe:

Or am I being too shrub-like in my understanding of what you said, embra?

http://cachestats.made.nu/profile.asp?club_id=1&cacher_id=32733

What you said. Proximity to a GOTO is not just proximity in general.

Wyatt offered some observations in the Yahoo forum along the lines that this proximity implementation must have some specialized use in DirectRoute. I guess I'll try and hold my tongue until I see what happens there...it's the only conjecture that makes any sense of what I'm seeing at the moment.

Max

Another use for hidden waypoints would be routes. Now that we better understand the bizarre definition of "proximity alarm" that Magellan isusing in this release, we can be almost certain this, too, is needed for DirectRoute. When you combine invisible waypoints with "alarm when approaching a waypoint" along with the new ability to hold more routepoints, we can imagine how DirectRoute works under the hood: it likely builds a route with invisible waypoints and sets proximity alarms to notify you of approaching turns, etc.

Often when building a route, especially a driving route, you often don't want the waypoints on the screen, cluttering it up.

Maybe you're working on a multi on foot and you don't want to toss them out of your receiver (you may have to go back) but you need more clarity on screen.

According to Magellan Engineering, neither proximity or symbol visibility can be accessed by host software at this time...