Merid/Plat& waas

bmk1

Just received my new Platinum yesterday. How do you know for sure that the waas feature is working? I know the waas satellite that my Garmin etrex legend picked up was #35 but I do not ever see this satellite on the satellite reception screen of the platinum. I do see the waas display on the posision screen though. Also can I turn waas on and off, if so how? I should note I have v3.08 software

Thanks

Brian

I believe that what happens is that W's on the sat screen represents the position of the WAAS satellites. When you get a lock, they go to inverse display. I had a Venture before my plat, and I seem to remember the WAAS bird it brought down was 33 or 35...no numbers that high show up on my display. So I think that the only sat strength bars/numbers across the bottom are the regular sats, and the only indicator you have for a WAAS lock is the inverse W.

Don't get even - get odd

Additionally, if WAAS is working, there is a message on the Position screen under the middle field, saying "WAAS" or "WAAS averaging".

HTH Ed

quote:
Originally posted by embra:

I believe that what happens is that W's on the sat screen represents the position of the WAAS satellites. When you get a lock, they go to inverse display. I had a Venture before my plat, and I seem to remember the WAAS bird it brought down was 33 or 35...no numbers that high show up on my display. So I think that the only sat strength bars/numbers across the bottom are the regular sats, and the only indicator you have for a WAAS lock is the inverse W.

Don't get even - get odd

If you see the WAAS message on the position screen, it's working. For kicks, update your firmware and put the EPE field on the position screen. You can see an immediate dropoff in EPE once WAAS corrections are applied.

To activate/deactivate WAAS, go to the "secret" menu screen, then select number 03. (menu, left, right, left, right, left, use the rocker to enter the number). Press ENTER to toggle the one-and-only configurable field, and hit ESC twice to return to normal. If this doesn't work in 3.08, update your firmware.

Also, if you have an SD card reader/writer, and want to take advantage of switching between map images on the SD card, you'll need to update your firmware.

-Craig/TeamCNJC

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took off through the thorns, chest high, ...

quote:
Originally posted by TeamCNJC:

For kicks, update your firmware and put the EPE field on the position screen. You can see an immediate dropoff in EPE once WAAS corrections are applied.

, ...

Is EPE the accuracy, and this is only avalible with a firmware upgrade right?

quote:
Originally posted by bmk1:

Is EPE the accuracy, and this is only avalible with a firmware upgrade right?

EPE is Estimated Positioning Error, which could be called accuracy. There have been some very long (and very boring icon_wink.gif) posts in the past that discuss the difference between precision, accuracy, and positioning. In short, EPE tells you about how close your displayed position is to the real position on the Earth, and is usually at a 95% confidence interval.

Does that make sense?

EPE is available in versions 3.12 and 4.02 of the Meridian firmware.

-Craig/TeamCNJC

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took off through the thorns, chest high, ...

quote:
Originally posted by bmk1:

I want to up grade my firmware but I'm kind of gun shy after reading about the problems some people are having with V4.02.

I can understand your hesitation, but I'm sure the number of posts you saw about problems was not representative of the proportion of problems to smooth upgrades. People who upgrade without difficulty don't have a fraction of the motivation to let others know about it compared to someone who ran into something unexpected and is trying to figure out what to do about it.

Of those who *did* run into problems, re-loading the firmware upgrade and making sure to clear memory as directed (with one or two extra for good measure) seemed to take care of most of the difficulties. There are some who did not find relief and have gone back to previous firmware.

There are a lot of great features in the 3.12 and the 4.02; I think it's worth what looks to me to be a slight risk. But if you are hesitant to go for the 4.02, do a search in this forum for 3.12 firmware; you should turn up a link for it--this firmware was, um, less controversial. icon_wink.gif

Good luck whatever you do...

Don't get even - get odd

quote:
Originally posted by Cachetrotters:

quote:
Originally posted by TeamCNJC:

...and is usually at a 95% confidence interval.

Does that make sense?...

NO. 95% confidence level, the interval of which is approximately 2 sigma. (just causin' trouble--don't sweat it icon_smile.gif)

don

Trouble icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif so how about 1-sigma and 68% and we'll split the CEP value icon_razz.gif

Since EPE is determined from the URA (User Range Accuracy), which is an un-measured "predicted only" quanity transmitted in the nav message then does that make the end result estimated or "un-predictable" icon_biggrin.gif

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

[This message was edited by Kerry on January 17, 2003 at 02:42 PM.]