Garmin MapSource 4.04 Beta now avail.

Guest Iron Chef

Guest gstrong1

Iron Chef. Thanks for the info. Have you downloaded the update yet & if so, is it worth it? My Mapsource Roads & Recreation & Topo are doing the job for me now, & like they say, if it aint broke, don't fix it. Too many times, I've gone for updates that were not worth the time to download.

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

DONT INSTALL THIS>>> my mapsource no longer worked after install had to reinstall older version....this is just one mans experience,

i advise caution

i did get this to work, after crashing my mapsource program...see following posts

[This message has been edited by Elwood (edited 25 September 2001).]

Guest Artful Dodger

quote:
Originally posted by Elwood:

DONT INSTALL THIS>>> my mapsource no longer worked after install had to reinstall older version....this is just one mans experience,

i advise caution

Funny....mine works just dandy - after the install.

I had to reinstall my mapsource program, and after doing that i tried again with the new beta patch , and this time it works ok, so it was probably a fluke, but warned folks in hopes of saving them from losing all their waypoints like i did, thank god for back ups....lol

Guest Iron Chef

Elwood, sorry you had problems initially. Software that is still in the beta stages can be a bit fickle sometimes. Make sure to report any problems that you find to Garmin!

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!

I tried it on my work machine and was not able to get it working under Win 2k I tried as a regualar user and as administrator. The feature sound really good. I like that they put crosshair so when you tell it to center on a track point you can tell where that point is. I will have to try it at home under Win95 and Win98.

mcb

Guest Iron Chef

I finally installed the 4.04 Beta over 4.03 and it works great. So far I haven't had any beta-ish problems with the software. It's hard to believe the difference between version 3.06 (what i started out with) and the current version. Me like.

------------------

-Iron Chef

Guest Elwood

I just installed a new os to go with the beta mapsource, and boy they dont like each other, but i did manage to get them to play nicely after a while, i had to reinstall once again the mapsource program.... unfortunately thats what i get for running a computer with 9 drives attached to it, most of my problems are self inflicted. just a F.Y.I. for those wondering if it will work under WINDOWS XP, yes after a reinstall.

Guest Hawk-eye

If you install the beta ... then try installing .... say metroguide ... it will crash .... if you install first all of your mapsource products ... then install the beta ... it seems to work OK .... another problem is that it does not support the new etrex geocaching icons ....

Guest Iron Chef

If you guys are having problems with it, make sure that you send an e-mail to the Devs at mapsourcebeta@garmin.com. And according to the download page, it looks like the 4.04 Beta is designed as a patch to an existing MapSource installation, so to install it first shouldn't necessarily work.

------------------

-Iron Chef

[This message has been edited by Iron Chef (edited 02 October 2001).]