UTM

Guest BigFig

Guest jeremy

Some use it, some don't. Since the eTrex and other devices come standard with LONG/LAT than UTM, most people use LONG/LAT.

WGS84 is pretty universal, which is why we use it here. Also, WGS84 is the format that the GPS satellites use, so it is the most exact.

Jeremy

Guest BigFig

So, does that mean if I'm using UTM with

NAD27 (topo maps in my area) that I'll lose some accracy in the conversion?

I just don't think in degrees, minutes

and seconds! And don't forget statute

miles vs nautical miles - Ugh!

Guest Mike_Teague

you wont lose any acuracy, as long as when you input them into your unit, it is set to wgs84 and lat/lon..

statute mile vs nm?

since yer into UTM, why not km ?!??

Guest fairbank

I also use USGS topo's and I only use the UTM coordinate system. It is much much easier and faster to use than Lat/Lon. Most of these topo's (7.5 minute quads) use the NAD27 datum. Always set the datum of your GPS to the same datum as the map you are using. Your GPS is capable of using any of many different coordinate systems. Non of them are considered "standard". If your interested, I have set up a web page for helping people in using USGS DRG's.

http://www.geocites.com/fairbank56

WGS84 is the latest and most accurate datum in use, but if your map is based on some other datum, then set your GPS to the same datum, DO NOT use WGS84 or you will have severe errors.

Eric