MeriGold or Merigreen ?

Since I cant find the new Sportrak anywhere in my area (I prefer buying from a local dealer).

So, what can I regret if I get the MeriGreen instead of the MeriGold.

Cant I just add a sd card and buy Mapsend to raise a Merigreen to a MeriGold in the futur ?

Bag

The only difference is the basemap and the price. If you're going to be getting MapSend and a memory card anyway, then the green is a good deal. That's what I did and I know a few others who did the same and were happy with how it worked out.

The gold has a larger basemap, but it's still not that detailed, so most people want MapSend added anyway...and if you do that, the size of the basemap is irrelevant.

The better basemap of the MeriGold is quite nice when looking for cities along a route or doing other things while zoomed out. Sure, when you're zoomed in, you'll be using the detail maps (and even if you weren't, the basemap isn't that much help for street navigation), but when you're zoomed *out*, the bigger basemap is quite useful, I find.

(Plus, who knows if the fact that there is different firmware for the MeriGold|Plat|Mari versus the MeriGreen means that there are going to be new features that won't fit in the smaller memory capacity of the MeriGreen... not saying that *will* be, but since the MeriGold looks so much better, anyway, why chance it. icon_wink.gif)

The better basemap of the MeriGold is quite nice when looking for cities along a route or doing other things while zoomed out. Sure, when you're zoomed in, you'll be using the detail maps (and even if you weren't, the basemap isn't that much help for street navigation), but when you're zoomed *out*, the bigger basemap is quite useful, I find.

(Plus, who knows if the fact that there is different firmware for the MeriGold|Plat|Mari versus the MeriGreen means that there are going to be new features that won't fit in the smaller memory capacity of the MeriGreen... not saying that *will* be, but since the MeriGold looks so much better, anyway, why chance it. icon_wink.gif)

I bet the diffrence in the version is when you go to card utlities then change map. In the change map there is an option to change basemap. Althought this does not have an relevence yet, the spec sheet on the new upgrade says the change update is for a mapsend product that has not been released yet. I have no idea what it is, but you may want the gold in case the green will not use the new mapsend they mentioned in the spec sheet.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what the upgrades bring. I may upgrade from a green to a platinum next month. The choice seems to be between a green and a platinum rather than a green and a gold unless the new updates reveal some quirkyness yet to be fully understood. icon_wink.gif

I guess we'll have to wait and see what the upgrades bring. I may upgrade from a green to a platinum next month. The choice seems to be between a green and a platinum rather than a green and a gold unless the new updates reveal some quirkyness yet to be fully understood. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by harrkev:

Go for the gold (or platinum icon_biggrin.gif)...

Then, If you want to go boating, you can load the marine base map.--Harrkev

I read some where that you had to send the GPSr into the factory to switch it to marine.

Is it as easy is switching map folders on the sd card?

Preperation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by harrkev:

Go for the gold (or platinum icon_biggrin.gif)...

Then, If you want to go boating, you can load the marine base map.--Harrkev

I read some where that you had to send the GPSr into the factory to switch it to marine.

Is it as easy is switching map folders on the sd card?

Preperation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

I'd go for the Gold. Having played with both, I'd say the basemap is worth it.

Also, keep in mind that the specifications for temperature range, impact, and etc. are for the unit itself, not 3rd party memory cards. I've seen a green lock up in the cold - well above its spec'ed minimum operating temperature. Only to come back to life when the no-name SD memory card was removed. (No, we weren't that smart, we just took it out to re-seat it.)

-jjf