Waypoint Management??

I've had my 76S now for a month or so and have very much enjoyed this new hobby of geocaching (found this site researching gps purchase).

Anyway, my biggest frustration has not been with ticks, mosquitos, signals strength under tree cover, etc. I am quite pleased with the Garmin unit and enjoy geocaching very much.

My beef is with waypoint/data management.

I have Topo, EasyGPS & tried G7toWin. None alone are perfect waypoint/route management tools.

I want a software that will allow me to easily sort out my waypoints, easily share waypoints between several files, easily download only selected waypoints, easily add more waypoints to a file w/o creating a new file by default (as with Mapsource). In Mapsource if I have a file open and i want add waypoints to it from another source, it defaults to start a new file.

I know I am not being 100% clear, but I also feel I am likely preaching to the choir. Other cacher's must know what I mean!!!

What is your 'system' for data management? What software do you use? What steps do you have to take for adequate data filing? What do you like best/worst about your software & system of management?

I am thinking of trying ExpertGPS. Is this the answer? Other recomendations?

Thanks,

P.S. I have searched the archives and didn't find 'exactly' what I was looking for.

Seeing nothing that worked for me, I took the "write your own code" solution. I had just gotten object REXX for Windows so I user it to perform many waypount management functions for me.

I now don't monitor as close new waypoints near me , I just download them all and pass them with my code and current waypoints. I get an HTML page to go view the new caches, a file to import into mapsource and several other files.

Sorry this is not a big help, other than, yes it is a big problem.

I did; and I ended up buying ExpertGPS the same night but I think for different reasons than you stated.

1) to easily sort out my waypoints?

depends on how you define EASILY sort, similar to EasyGPS, you can sort by any of the columns in ExpertGPS (Symbol, Description, LAT, LON, etc)

2) to easily share waypoints between several files?

Here I almost think you'd find this feature in a GIS/database system. Am I assuming you are refering to having only one instance of a waypoint in a database, let's say, and you'd want a *pointer* to that waypoint in several files?

As far as ExpertGPS is concerned, each file is just a list of WayPoints, Tracks and Routes, everything a GPS records. There isn't any relational data invovled between the files.

There isn't a Cut/Copy/Paste feature in ExpertGPS which I am very surprised at, but you can drag a waypoint from one file and drop it in another. It will be copied to the second file, not moved.

3) easily download only selected waypoints?

I am assuming you mean download from a GPS. As with EasyGPS, it's all or nothing. Same with upload.

4) easily add more waypoints to a file w/o creating a new file by default?

YES, ExpertGPS can do this, very easily. You can also add them while viewing a Topo or Aerial Photo of the area too!!!

Definetly check ExpertGPS out. It blew my socks off.

FINALLY!!! Something useful I can do with that Geography degree. :-D

I use MapTech not only for work but for caching, hiking, boating and biking. As for waypoint management: you can veiw any or all of your way points and upload one, a few or many to your GPS at a time. Same for downloading from your GPS. You can give detailed descriptions and search for waypoints by name, location, keywords or topomaps. You can also turn on and off layers of waypoints.

MapTech is compatable with about every make and model of GPS unit and they update the compatability via downloads on their web site.

I work in the GPS/GIS industry and found MapTech is the most efficent and easiest to use mapping software out there.

I would highly recommend giving it a try. It seems there is this craze over MapSource and TopoZone and all the others, and I don't hear much about Maptech!!?? As far as managing and keeping your waypoints situated, I can't think of an eaisier program.

goto their website www.maptech.com and check it out.

I took a look and I kinda like the TopoServer icon_smile.gif it figures out to something like $2350 in just map cost plus the hardware icon_smile.gif Very intresting that it gives you the US. I was looking at the mid alantic map set at $150 ish dosent sound too bad, still alittle pricie depending on what your doing with it.

Right now thats a bit pricy considering on have like 4 waypoint ( Home both works and friends house icon_smile.gif

Me i am still learning all this downloaded waypoint stuff icon_wink.gif I just enter them manually.

Oh well I am off to an afternoon of caching

-Robert

I took a look and I kinda like the TopoServer icon_smile.gif it figures out to something like $2350 in just map cost plus the hardware icon_smile.gif Very intresting that it gives you the US. I was looking at the mid alantic map set at $150 ish dosent sound too bad, still alittle pricie depending on what your doing with it.

Right now thats a bit pricy considering on have like 4 waypoint ( Home both works and friends house icon_smile.gif

Me i am still learning all this downloaded waypoint stuff icon_wink.gif I just enter them manually.

Oh well I am off to an afternoon of caching

-Robert