Garmin eTrex and Mapsource questions...

Guest harstad

Guest harstad

I have a couple questions. First, I would like a cover for my Vista but it seems the only one Garmin makes, or at leats the only one I can find, is one without a hole for the clikstik. Do they make and where can I purchase it? Second, I am considering buy the Mapsource Roads and Rec CD form Garmin. How much more information does this have than is already on the Vista. Does it include city maps or something? The Vista already has a lot of major highways and roads so im wondering if I really need this. Thanks

------------------

Guest PneumaticDeath

The map CD has its good and bad points. This is a comparison to the eTrex Legend basemap, which I assume is basically the same. I've been using the Legend with the US Roads and Rec mapsource product for about a month.

Good

• Lots more local streets, landmarks, waypoints and country roads than the default map. Several roads that I thought would be too small or obscure have been on there.
  • Maps broken down by county (US Roads and Rec.) or Map Grid (US Topo), so you can only download the sections you're interested, and the basemap will still be there for the rest of the US.

Bad

• Since communication is through a serial port, downloading even 5 MB of maps takes forever. The newest version of the MapSource software has support for USB, but I don't think the eTrex does.
  • The maps are inconsistently out of date. Some maps are missing roads that I know have been there for over 15 years, while other roads that I know to be less than 5 years old are there.
  • There is no way to update the maps yourself
  • A fair number of smaller rural roads with show up named only as "Road", sometimes these are actually fire control roads which can't be used by cars, and sometimes they're real county roads.
  • There is no real mechanism to calculate driving directions ala map blast, etc.
  • If you want to change the loaded maps, you need to reload all the maps. Even if I'm only adding 1 600K map, reloading all 6MB of maps takes around 20 minutes.

All in all, it's a nice package, but lacks features and polish from a software package costing nearly $100. I really like expertGPS software for use with the laptop,, but it can't load maps into the Garmin units (yet).

--- Mitch

Guest Prime Suspect

quote:
Originally posted by harstad:

I have a couple questions. First, I would like a cover for my Vista but it seems the only one Garmin makes, or at leats the only one I can find, is one without a hole for the clikstik. Do they make and where can I purchase it?

You can punch a hole for the clikstik, but don't bother. With or without a hole, it's a piece of garbage. The belt clip is held in place with just a little glue. Since the clip slides into a little pocket on the back from the top, if the glue fails (like mine did after the second use), you can use lose the entire unit without even knowing it.

Body Glove made a cover, but has apparently discontinued it (it no longer appears on their website). The reviews of it that I read were almost universally negative. The padding was so thick that it made it very difficult to operate the side buttons.

Guest gstrong1

I've got the case for my Vista.Burned a small hole in the location of the click stick.Not the ideal set-up, but is functional and protects the unit. Have had the case for 3 months now & have not had trouble with the belt clip yet, but I'm very aware of the design & I just take care when in use.It'll have to do till something better comes along.I got it here. http://www.advancedgps.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=010-10266-00 .I also have the Mapsource Roads & Recreation & the topo software & it's not the best around but not much else you can get that will load maps to the Garmins.I've used it to load maps,routes & waypoints to my Vista,III Plus & MAP76, & it does the job.I've purchased some more up to date software, but can't load maps.

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

Guest ecbaatz

quote:
Originally posted by harstad:

I have a couple questions. First, I would like a cover for my Vista but it seems the only one Garmin makes, or at leats the only one I can find, is one without a hole for the clikstik. Do they make and where can I purchase it? Second, I am considering buy the Mapsource Roads and Rec CD form Garmin. How much more information does this have than is already on the Vista. Does it include city maps or something? The Vista already has a lot of major highways and roads so im wondering if I really need this. Thanks

Check this website out:

http://www.gpscity.com/accessories/cases/etrex_case_hole.html

I have this case for my vista and really like it.

------------------

Eric