NEW GPS FRS - garmin rino 110 and 120

KD7MXI

quote:
Atilla, do you know if a person can choose to just use the FRS mode, and not get the license, or do you have to get the license just to own the unit

You could own the unit without a license, you could listen and transmit on the FRS frequencies without a license, and you could listen on the GMRS frequencies without a license. A violation would only occurr if you transmit on the GMRS frequencies without a license.

Regards,

Tedoca

mdgps11.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Night Tracker:

The Rino 110 (yellow) is FRS, no License required.

The Rino 120 (Green) is GMRS FCC requires license.

I believe it's 75.00 for 5 years and covers the immediate family. Go to the Garmin site for more info on the two Rinos.

According to the Garmin website, both units support GMRS. The main differences are that the 120 has Vista-like mapping abilities (except only 8 meg of memory instead of 24), and it has a voice scrambler for more secure communications.

PS_sig.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Tedoca:

You could own the unit without a license, you could listen _and_ transmit on the FRS frequencies without a license, and you could _listen_ on the GMRS frequencies without a license. A violation would only occurr if you _transmit_ on the GMRS frequencies without a license.

Regards,

Tedoca

http://mdgps.net

Actually, you are mistaken about that. GMRS and FRS use 7 frequencies in common (interstitials is what they're called) but the GMRS radios actually broadcast on those frequencies with a wider deviation. Also, GMRS can broadcast on the insterstitials with up to 5 watts of power, compared to FRS with only half a watt. So technically, it is illegal for you to broadcast on the "FRS channels" with a GMRS radio unless you have a GMRS license. Since one license covers your entire nuclear family, and then some, and you're probably going to use the radios with your family members, getting one licence to cover the entire family is not a bad deal....

Respectfully,

AtP

On the amateur bands I believe you are required to ID every TEN minutes, or at the conclusion of your conversation (whichever is less).

Not sure about GMRS but it would make sense they would stick to the same time limit.

BTW... This does not mean you have to pick up the radio and ID yourself every ten minutes just 'cause you have the unit with you and turned on. The ten minute ID is only required when your current conversation ends or exceeds the ten minute interval.

It's really not a big deal and you can toss it in just about anytime with a simple statement such as... "N3YKX for ID."

Regards,

Tedoca

mdgps11.gif

Just a note...

for you Canadian cachers the Rino 120 will ship with the GMRS disabled...

"GARMIN has announced versions of the Rino 110 and Rino 120 specifically for the Canadian market. The Canadian versions of Rino provide all standard features as found in the Rino 110 and 120 "USA" versions minus GMRS channels. This is due to frequency allocations as defined by Industry Canada."

the quote is from www.GPSCentral.ca, a Canadian mail order store for GPS needs out of Calgary...good site that supports and sells items for Geocaching.com.

The 110 and 120 will ship for $249.95 and $344.95 Canadian respectively.

I just have to have a pair...but 700$...ouch!

null

"Everywhere you go, there ya be..."

Why buy two 120's?

it just occurred to me that one might as well buy one of each...on each hunt you give the 110 to your part-time geocaching buddy and keep the map-enabled 120 for yourself...its unlikely that BOTH of you will need a map database...

thereby saving 100 bucks Canadian..(about2.95$ American LOL)

-Capn Gadget

Everywhere you go, there ya be..."

Till Sept.

This really sux. I'll have to get something real

quick to get me by till sept.

The problem is that I preordered a 120 hoping to get it before vacation this summer, now i,m thinking of getting a Venture or a Legend for my second unit. I was going to get a 110 and a 120 but who knows, maybe I'll borrow one till then... icon_mad.gif

[This message was edited by Night Tracker on April 27, 2002 at 09:35 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by inceptor:

Will a Ham license cover gmrs or do I need another license?

inceptor

the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys

You'll need another (different) license. Your GMRS license will cover your entire "nuclear" family and only costs about $75 for 5 years.

AtP

quote:
Originally posted by bacpac:

What is this?

icon_biggrin.gif A cool new radio combined with GPS. This is a short range transmitter and reciever. This is basically it in a nutshell. For more details, go to the link above from Got GPS or go to the Garmin outdoor website. Have fun. icon_cool.gif

inceptor

quote:
Originally posted by GOT GPS?:

Dont know why the Rinos have not been approved yet by the FCC, but I would like to get a pair of them.

My guess (and it is pure speculation) is that they're not approved yet because they broadcast data. The GMRS band is approved for voice only, so there will have to be a wavier for this use.

quote:

Here is the GMRS website:

http://www.g-m-r-s.org/

Uh, that is not an official site of any sort. It is run (I believe) by Robert K. Leef, who both sells radio equipment and is extremely knowlegable about radios and FCC regs. He has several good links regarding GMRS off his business site http://www.rkleef.com/ . It is intended to be (primarily) a (US) nationwide registery of GMRS repeaters so that travellers can contact repeater operators along their proposed path and request permission to use their repeaters. Or so new licensees can contact repeater operators in their local area and make arrangements to use the repeater.

Respectfully,

AtP

quote:
Originally posted by Zuckerruebensirup:

Atilla, do you know if a person can choose to just use the FRS mode, and not get the license, or do you have to get the license just to own the

http://www.advancedgps.com/receivers/rino.asp?

Thanks for the link. This is the cheapest price I have seen. Just preordered my Rino 120 today!

inceptor

quote:

Did your unit come in yet? If so, what do you think of it so far?

No, I have not recieved my unit. The release was to be sometime in June but has been pushed back to July or possibly September. AdvanceGPS offered free FedEx shipping if you preorder. Your credit card will not be billed until shipment. Because of both of those reasons, I preordered. As soon as it arrives, I will post what I think of the unit.

inceptor

North Texas Geocaching Association

quote:

Ah, it must be tough to have to wait so long. I'd get impatient to be playing with my new toy. icon_wink.gif It's cool that you've got dibs on one, and won't get charged until it's shipped, though. icon_smile.gif

It is tough to wait that long soooooo, I have decide to make myself feel better by getting a Vista or a Legend to play with in the mean time. icon_biggrin.gif

inceptor

North Texas Geocaching Association

[This message was edited by inceptor on May 26, 2002 at 10:01 PM.]