Which gps in the woods?

Guest Catcluber

Guest Catcluber

I am in the market to upgrade from my old Garmin 45.It was a fine unit in its day but it is horrible under any tree cover.

With so many new models out there I would like to know which one works the bet under heavy tree cover?

From what I have read on other posts the III+ seems to be one of the better ones,but with it being an older model is there anything better?

The garmin 76map looks to be the unit alot of III+ users are upgrading to and is probably my 1st choice.....if it works in the woods.

Any opinion would be of great help.

Guest db8tr

I can speak up for my III+ being great under tree cover. Heck, I've gotten a 2D lock in my basement before. It seems like the external antenna coupled with the sensitive receive makes the III+ a killer combination. I also really like the way the display of the III+ can be horizontal or vertical. It makes the transition from the car (or bike) to the trail seamless. To sum up, I have never lost a signal due to tree cover. Only once have a lost a signal when I was outdoors, and that was when I was at the base of a narrow canyon.

I would have to agree with db8tr the III+ is an awsome unit. I had one and never had a problem with lock on in tree cover. I recently upgraded to the GPSMAP 76 and I would have to say that overall I like the GPSMAP 76 unit a lot better. I do have to say that the III+ is a little more sensitive than the GPSMAP 76 but only a little more and the added features and more memory makes the GPSMAP 76 a better overall GPS.

mcb

Guest gstrong1

I've got the eTrex Vista,the Garmin MAP76 & the III Plus.As much as I prefer the MAP76 with its many features,the III Plus is by far the best unit under tree cover. I don't believe I've ever lost a satellite fix on any of my 46 finds.If I did, it was only momentarily.Its never failed me. icon_biggrin.gif. Can't say the same for the other two units. On all of the 13 caches I've placed, I've used the III Plus to get the co-ordinates to post on the cache page cuz even without waas,I know that those are going to be the most accurate numbers to give cache seekers to go after.And you can't beat the price you can pick one up for now.--Gimpy--

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

Guest Iron Chef

Like the others have said, I have some friends who have had great experiences with their III+ models. I would just advise against an eTrex, their cheesy antennas and lack of an external antenna make it hell to keep a lock in the woods.

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!

Guest gstrong1

I've got the eTrex Vista,the Garmin MAP76 & the III Plus.As much as I prefer the MAP76 with its many features,the III Plus is by far the best unit under tree cover. I don't believe I've ever lost a satellite fix on any of my 46 finds.If I did, it was only momentarily.Its never failed me. icon_biggrin.gif. Can't say the same for the other two units. On all of the 13 caches I've placed, I've used the III Plus to get the co-ordinates to post on the cache page cuz even without waas,I know that those are going to be the most accurate numbers to give cache seekers to go after.And you can't beat the price you can pick one up for now.--Gimpy--

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

Guest Quinnow

I have the map76, the IIIPlus and had the Vista.

The vista is gone thank god, but I agree with the others as far as the IIIPlus, though if you place an external antenna on the map76 like I did, it becomes a tad bit better than the IIIPlus is. But for out of the box...IIIPlus all the way!

on sale at www.advancedgps.com but make sure you check around first to be sure you get the best deal!

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest k2dave

nothing to compare it to but never lost a lock w/ my 3+ in the woods unless I shove the unit in my front pocket. The V looks like a good replacement option due to routing and waas and the same form factor - I would assume it would be about the same as holding locks as the 3+. After reading all these post I would not buy one with a patch antenna (even though I don't know what the alternitive type is-quadrectifier?).