GPS315 with Streets '98

Guest 2Hearts

Guest 2Hearts

I am trying to do street navigation with my GPS315 so I went ahead and bought a data cable for the 315, then I hooked it up to my laptop (transfer works fine, I have used it with EasyGPS).

I have set the 315 to use NMEA. Which one do I want to use? V1.5 APA, V1.5 XTE or V2.1 GSA?

Streets '98 however tells me that in order to use my GPS, it must be installed on my machine. Either through Plug and Play or the Control Panel.

Well the 315 is not a plug and play GPS and Magellan is not one of options in the GPS devices.

Is Streets '98 just too old? Does it work with one of the newer versions? Anyone tried Map Point?

Any help is appreciated.. I have been working for weeks trying to get this going icon_smile.gif

Thanks

Guest 2Hearts

Update:

Ok, I uninstalled Streets '98 and I installed MapPoint. Awesome program. Problem is, when I go into the GPS section of the software, everything is greyed out.

I looked in the help file and it said to make sure my GPS is set to NMEA 2.0 or higher (it is set to 2.1 GSA), and to make sure that the baud rate is at 4800.

I did all of that and I even checked the connection to my computer again with EasyGPS.

No matter what I do, everything in the GPS section is greyed out. I can not even set the com port for the program to look for my GPS at since it is greyed out.

Any suggestions are welcome

Thanks

Guest Ron Streeter

Sounds like you have most things accounted for. Try this.

Turn off the computer. Turn off the gps.

Be sure the gps is plugged into the com port.

Turn on the gps.

Turn on the computer.

See if it detects it this time.

The com port may be the problem.

The plug and play aspect probably won't come into play and you may have to use the software (mapping software) to answer questions it needs to know about your setup.

I use MS Streets & Trips 2001 and it works great, but took a little setting up. The baud rate, NEMA and port are the major considerations as far as I know.

Good luck.

Ron

24H/36F

Guest 2Hearts

Thanks Ron..

My problem is that the GPS sections in the software are greyed out.. which means they will not even let me attempt to tell it which com port it is on, etc..

Not quite sure why

Guest 2Hearts

Ok, got it figured out.

I guess there is a GPS addon that you have to install on the first CD. I did not know that and that was my problem.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Guest 2Hearts

I can tell you that it works Awesome!

We tried it out for the first time the other night and it works so much better than I even thought it could.

I am using MapPoint which is like a Super Streets program (and more expensive)the detail and the functions are amazing.

The only thing I do not like is that it only updates your position on the map every 15 seconds (I would like every 5), but I think that is common among all the street programs.