Lowrance iFinder -- any first hand opinions?

I know Joe Mehaffey is working on a review but hasn't posted it yet -- so I'm turning to this group for information.

I'm thinking if getting a Lowrance iFinder and the MapCreate software. Does any one have first hand experience with this unit yet?

I'm especially interested in this because this unit takes MMC and SD cards. I have quite a few of these memory cards because I have other gadgets that use them.

How's the reception? Is the internal antenna quadrifilar or patch? Anyone tried it yet with an external antenna?

How's the mapping software? Easy to use? Good street level detail?

Patch antenna. Excellent reception - right there with Magellan 330 / Meridian which so far I found the most sensitive. Fast acquisition and holds the lock very well.

Haven't used it with an external antenna - haven't seen any need for that.

From what I have seen on the MapCreate; I think (but don't know for sure, I'm Canadian), that the USA street detail is very good. Canadian (unfortunately) is non existent…

I like iFinders ability to record such long tracks (9999 points each) with excellent resolution in auto mode. Unfortunately, it does NOT record time stamp with the track record.

Another "problem" is that the tracks so far can not be imported into the MapCreate - they can be only exported. Hopefully, some 3rd party programs will provide for that soon.

Andrew Kalinowski

www.GPSNuts.com Recreational GPS and mapping (hobby)

www.CanadianMaps.ca Raster topo (and some other) maps

There is a difference in the S/N reported by the receiver but it’s not significant except in extreme conditions. For example, when you put the receiver in your pocket, make sure that it faces out – your body will block the signals fairly well.

I frequently use receiver(s) when driving. Normally, they sit on the dashboard or are attached to the face of the dashboard, in an upright position. This would appear to be just about the worst position for a typical, patch antenna receiver (iFinder, GM100 or Garmin eTrex) because the sensitivity cone points right at the steel roof of the car. Even that there is a noticeable signal degradation (as compared to use in the open), the reception is still sufficient to retain a good lock, virtually on the par with helix antenna equipped receivers.

Andrew Kalinowski

www.GPSNuts.com Recreational GPS and mapping (hobby)

www.CanadianMaps.ca Raster topo (and some other) maps

quote:
Originally posted by lee_rimar:

I just bought the I Finder and have used it on atleast 3 finds so far. I like it very much, it did very well locking on and keeping a satellite lock on. I have been using Lowrance GPS's and think they are the best. I have a Garmin that can't hold a candle to the two Lowrance units I have. As for mapping software I haven't used it. I have only used the maps that are preloaded and have really liked it. I'm sure that the memory cards and software will be top notch and would be Lowrance's usual excellance!

I know Joe Mehaffey is working on a review but hasn't posted it yet -- so I'm turning to this group for information.

I'm thinking if getting a Lowrance iFinder and the MapCreate software. Does any one have first hand experience with this unit yet?

I'm especially interested in this because this unit takes MMC and SD cards. I have quite a few of these memory cards because I have other gadgets that use them.

How's the reception? Is the internal antenna quadrifilar or patch? Anyone tried it yet with an external antenna?

How's the mapping software? Easy to use? Good street level detail?