use on motorcycle?

Guest xosop

I've been trying to decide on which unit to buy. I plan on geocaching and using one for navigation on motorcycle trips. I've been looking at the etrex vista and the III+. Size is an issue since I'm riding a sport bike not a crusier. Also does anyone make a mount that is sturdy enough for use on motorcycles? Any input would be appreciated.

Guest tenseven

I use the Vista with handlebar mount on my mountainbike. I ride some pretty hardcore off-road trails for hours. I have never had a problem with the unit or its mount. Simple, one-handed attachment and removal of the unit from the mount. My friend uses the III+ on his ATV. Good mount also. The bonus there is that the III+ allows for an external antenna for better reception although I don't think that will be a concern on a street bike (no tree cover).

Tenseven.

P.S. Both are top notch mapping units. You can't go wrong with either one. I chose the Vista because of the memory, compass, altimeter and detailed screen. I was shopping for a III+ when I saw the Vista at a sportsman show. The III+ has a nice screen feature where you position the screen vertical or horizontal.

[This message has been edited by tenseven (edited 24 September 2001).]

Take a quick peek at the GPSMap76 over the Vista. If you like the handheld formfactor of the Vista for it's size and shirtpocket portability (the III feels clumsy in a pocket) considering you would probably want to secure it at stops, etc., I lean toward having all the buttons and controls on the face of the unit rather than on the sides. When running my boat or using in the car, I don't want to be reaching to either side for the buttons.

Another potential ding on the III may be the polarization of the display unit. I say potential because I haven't ever used a III but I did have a II. On the II, if you set the unit in the horizontal position, like on the dashboard, you could not read the screen well if you are wearing polarized sunglasses. The screen was essentially unreadable unless you tilted your head. I hated it.

My Map76 has a big clear display (for a handheld) and is real easy on the batteries.

And a RAM mount should do you well on the bike. Let us know what you decide.

Guest Reservoir Dog

I second "Tenseven's" remarks. I am very satisfied with my Vista, although I don't use it on handlebars...sold the Harley a couple of years ago. But Garmin does make a nice mount.

------------------

Terry (Reservoir Dog)

Guest Gliderguy

I have a Garmin III+ that I mount to my BMW R1100R with a RAM mount. I think the RAM mounts are about as bulletproof as they come.

www.ram-mount.com

They make a mount for about anything. Their suction cup mount is great in a car.

Most of the components in their mounts is made of aluminum instead of plastic, VERY durable. About the only plastic parts are the actual cradle around the GPS and the hard rubber coating on the balls. (as in ball and socket)