Don't buy the Dazzle 6-in-1 Reader

This is a quick note to potential purchasers of the Dazzle 6-in-1 Reader.

Don't

Quite simply, do NOT buy this product. I received absolutely no response to either my phone call nor email requesting the Windows 98 drivers for this product. I borrowed it from a Mac friend to transfer maps to my Meridian GPS' card.

We both figured it would be no big deal to go to the website and download the drivers.

WRONG.

There's no link on the Product Support page. Why the hell not? It's pretty simple to add it, right? My guess is that they want you to pay $13 for a "Gold Service" tech support call.

Thanks to their disgruntled users' forum, I found a link to Kingston's site where they actually have the drivers available for their rebranded Dazzle product. The product did work after an incredible amount of hassle, but it felt very "cheesy" having to slide the SD card into the reader upside down and not feeling the "click". So, it does NOT use a "standard" SD/MMC slot.

Dazzle also mislabels their readers as USB 2.0 high speed when they are not.

Avoid this company.

Dazzle is not the company I would want to do business with.

When Windows XP first came out. the Dazzle DVC's driver wasn't compatible with XP and Dazzle said it was working on an upgrade. I contacted Dazzle with the matter and was told twice that the XP compatible driver would be available for download for free on its website. After weeks of waiting the upgrade finally came out but, not free. Dazzle replied my email telling me that I would have to pay for them to ship me a newly made CD-ROM with software and the updated driver on it. I was furious. All I needed was the driver which I was told twice that it would be free of charge to download.

I didn't bother to buy the CD-ROM from Dazzle. I didn't need to spend even more money on a company that deals with customers this way. I ended up selling the DVC to my friend and got a non-Dazzle product.

This site has links to finding older drivers as well as some drivers for XP people. I couldn't get drivers for my Epson Printer from the Epson site (without paying $15.00 icon_mad.gif), but found them here, as well many others that I could't find. There is another driver search site, but I don't recall its address right now. If this one doesn't have what you're looking for, let me know and I'll look up the other one.

GeoBoltz

Driver Guide.com

[This message was edited by Geo Boltz on January 15, 2003 at 09:40 PM.]