Software Experiences/Recommendations

Guest rplumley

Guest rplumley

We've had our eTrex Vista now for a month and a half and we've been thinking about getting some software to work with the unit. I've downloaded ExpertGPS and EasyGPS and they work okay for playing with the waypoints and tracks, but I was wanting to get something more. We've been looking at the possibility of getting something like the Garmin "Roads and Recreation" software. How does it compare to DeLorme's software? And does anyone have any experience with others? I have found something from a company called Maptech.COM... any comments?

R

Guest gstrong1

The biggest difference between Mapsource & DeLorme, other than price, is that with Mapsource, you can download maps to the Vista & with DeLorme, you can't. I believe, that the only software you can use to download maps to your Vista, IS the Mapsource. With the DeLorme, you can download routes & waypoints to the Vista.I have both, & I think the DeLorme is a little nicer but I want the maps downloaded to my GPS units. Too bad the price on the Mapsource is twice that of DeLorme. For caching purposes, you should take a look at the topo series. Much handier to be able to see trails, streams etc.when planning a cache adventure. I use Roads & Recreation to plan my road trip to the cache area & just print up a map.DeLormes Street Atlas is great for this also, & again, is 1/2 the price.

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

Guest Prime Suspect

ont>

If you're only going to get one piece of software, I would suggest the new Garmin Metro Guide. Roads and Rec hasn't been updated in years, and doesn't have auto-routing capabilities. Street Atlas is probably better at routing and trip planning, but the maps can't be uploaded. You can upload routes and waypoints, but you'll only have the base map as a reference.

Metro Guide will give you both map uploading and auto-routing. Be sure to check out the packaging, though. Make sure it's the 2001 edition, and that it doesn't come with a memory module - you'll be paying a lot more money for something the Vista doesn't need and can't use.

[This message has been edited by Prime Suspect (edited 17 September 2001).]

Guest Gliderguy

USA photomaps is a freeware program that will superimpose your tracks and waypoints on a photograph of your area. Pretty much the whole USA has been mapped, and the photo data is available on the internet with no access charges even at DSL/Cable download speeds.

www.jdmcox.com

There is also a program on this website that lets you download elevation data and superimpose contour lines over your map. The elevation program requires a little digging and effort to get up and running, but is worth it. The biggest hassle is the elevation data downloads slowly (about 3k / s) unless you pay for a high bandwith block of data. It is free at the slower rate though.

[This message has been edited by Gliderguy (edited 30 September 2001).]

I downloaded the MapTech demo and it is a SUPER way to utilize real USGS topo quads. MUCH BETTER than TopoZone's maps. Not a good tool for route planning/driving directions, but it beats the pants off of having a couple of thousand paper quads laying around.

------------------

Greg

N39°54.705'

W077°33.137'

My geocaching page