Garmin data and power cable combination

Timothius

I have the combo cable and wonder if I can have the GPS take power from the cigarette lighter and have the laptop hooked up for real time tracking at the same time. It looks as though I can do this? Anybody try it yet?

Timothius

An Irish Toast:

"May you be in heaven a half hour before

the Devil knows you're dead"

Now what we really need is a USB cable that not only talks to your GPSr, but also powers it. (USB can supply up to 5 volts right?)

That way, a mobile set-up in the car would not require separate power plugs for the GPSr and for the laptop. Just get the laptop plugged in to your cig lighter and then the GPSr feeds off of that via USB.

My Vista/laptop mobile set-up now requires two power plugs - and luckily my Grand Cherokee has two. But it's a hassle with all the wires.

Maybe there is such a USB cord? Anybody?

My wife gave me a 1 to 3 adapter for the car lighter outle so I can plug in my Vista while she charges her cell phone. icon_wink.gif I gave up smoking so I can use the third for my laptop once I get a cable and not have to worry about the original lighter!

I think she got it from the Sharper Image or Hammacher Sclemmer.

ALan

My wife gave me a 1 to 3 adapter for the car lighter outle so I can plug in my Vista while she charges her cell phone. icon_wink.gif I gave up smoking so I can use the third for my laptop once I get a cable and not have to worry about the original lighter!

I think she got it from the Sharper Image or Hammacher Sclemmer.

ALan

quote:
My wife gave me a 1 to 3 adapter for the car lighter outlet so I can plug in my Vista while she charges her cell phone. I gave up smoking so I can use the third for my laptop once I get a cable and not have to worry about the original lighter

I have one of those too. I run a cooler charge the cell phone or run a massager-seat cushion, and run the legend. I love it. Glad to hear that you gave upo smoking. I did too 5 years ago. It was very hard to do.

Thanks to all that replied to this question. icon_smile.gif

An Irish Toast:

quote:
My wife gave me a 1 to 3 adapter for the car lighter outlet so I can plug in my Vista while she charges her cell phone. I gave up smoking so I can use the third for my laptop once I get a cable and not have to worry about the original lighter

I have one of those too. I run a cooler charge the cell phone or run a massager-seat cushion, and run the legend. I love it. Glad to hear that you gave upo smoking. I did too 5 years ago. It was very hard to do.

Thanks to all that replied to this question. icon_smile.gif

An Irish Toast:

I just did a 5000 mile trip from Chicago to California and back. I have an old IBM laptop that takes a 16V DC input. I only had an AC adaptor for it. Luckly it also charged nicely when fed direct from my cars lighter sockets.(Cars electrical systems are about 14 V DC) I found an old cord in my junk box with the correct laptop power connector on one end, and low and behold, a cig lighter plug AND socket feed on the other. So just plugged the GPS combo cable into the feedthrough, and plugged the whole shebang into one lighter outlet. Still, was a good thing I have a GMC Envoy... it has 2 extra sockets on the dash, along with the lighter; a socket on the passenger rear seat console; and a socket by the trunk hatch. The cooler got plugged in the trunk, the laptop/GPS in the center console, and the cellphone charger and radar detector in the front 2. Never did use the cig lighter. Don't smoke. icon_smile.gif

How in ghods name I didnt blow the cars electrical out is beyond me.

-Centaur

I just did a 5000 mile trip from Chicago to California and back. I have an old IBM laptop that takes a 16V DC input. I only had an AC adaptor for it. Luckly it also charged nicely when fed direct from my cars lighter sockets.(Cars electrical systems are about 14 V DC) I found an old cord in my junk box with the correct laptop power connector on one end, and low and behold, a cig lighter plug AND socket feed on the other. So just plugged the GPS combo cable into the feedthrough, and plugged the whole shebang into one lighter outlet. Still, was a good thing I have a GMC Envoy... it has 2 extra sockets on the dash, along with the lighter; a socket on the passenger rear seat console; and a socket by the trunk hatch. The cooler got plugged in the trunk, the laptop/GPS in the center console, and the cellphone charger and radar detector in the front 2. Never did use the cig lighter. Don't smoke. icon_smile.gif

How in ghods name I didnt blow the cars electrical out is beyond me.

-Centaur

quote:
Originally posted by Point2Point:

Now what we really need is a USB cable that not only talks to your GPSr, but also powers it. (USB can supply up to 5 volts right?)

That way, a mobile set-up in the car would not require separate power plugs for the GPSr and for the laptop. Just get the laptop plugged in to your cig lighter and then the GPSr feeds off of that via USB.

My Vista/laptop mobile set-up now requires two power plugs - and luckily my Grand Cherokee has two. But it's a hassle with all the wires.

Maybe there is such a USB cord? Anybody?

I'm sure it can be done. A powered USB hub can provide (going off memory here) 500mA @ 5V (*might be 3V *)