Garmin or Magellan? (have to try out the new poll feature)

Which GPSr is the best for your average Geocacher?

Garmin

Magellan

Trimble

Other

I'm looking for the best, not which you own. You may have purchased a Magellan and then found the folly of your ways. icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by The Cooker on March 06, 2002 at 02:31 PM.]

[This message was edited by The Cooker on March 06, 2002 at 02:34 PM.]

Having only actually owned a Magellan, I have to vote for the one I have used. I do believe that in some ways (the ones that matter to me) it is the better GPSR, but this is really based more on the volumes I have read in these forums about other users' experience with their unit(s). Only a relative handful of cachers own more than one, by my reckoning, so asking which is "best" is kind of hopeless.

IF I ever do feel the need to acquire another GPSR, I will very possibly go with the Garmin GPS V, not because I have not been thrilled with Magellan, but I would like to have the routing capability of the Garmin. I already have essentially all the abilities of the Meridian line in my Map330, so to me, I would not be getting much new fun if I were to get another Magellan. Besides, then I would know that much more about GPSRs, since Magellan and Garmin pretty much have a corner on the market.

bunkerdave

6327_1600.gif

I now have two gpsr units and my neighbor has two units. We both use them for very different purposes, and both use them for geocaching. he is an Air Force B52 pilot and uses his in the cockpit. He needs altimeters, etc. and bought an expensive unit.

I went low dollar on my first unit and upgraded to a Merigold for mapping and sd card capability. For geocaching in general most middle range units will do a great job.

My only comment on brands is this. My neighbor and I both were seeking a cache in a piney woods area. His Legend lost the sats frequently while my MeriGold kept a lock all the time.

icon_confused.gif

A which do you use question would be better...

The interesting thing is that there have been 244 views of this post and less than thirty votes. I guess the reason is my bad question causing apathy icon_smile.gif , or votes aren't getting recorded.

My vote is the first one... Well it was fun to try out the polling feature. This web site is working pretty well.

The Cooker

Wich one i think is best:

The Gargellan Meridian GPS V, with the memory cards of the Meridian's, the high resolution display of the GPS V, Autorouting, and the Electronic compass of the Vista, all in one unit.

For real:

I go with Garmins because I like all the info on the Trip Computer page, like on the eTrex Vista.

If the Magellan Meridian had a Trip Computer page the same as the Vista's, I would have the Meridian Platnium GPS. The vista is a great unit for Jogging or running outdoors.

Also what make a Garmin better, is that you can do a screen capture of the GPS to the PC.

quote:
Originally posted by Geoffr524:

Wich one i think is best:

The Gargellan Meridian GPS V, with the memory cards of the Meridian's, the high resolution display of the GPS V, Autorouting, and the Electronic compass of the Vista, all in one unit.

For real:

I go with Garmins because I like all the info on the Trip Computer page, like on the eTrex Vista.

If the Magellan Meridian had a Trip Computer page the same as the Vista's, I would have the Meridian Platnium GPS. The vista is a great unit for Jogging or running outdoors.

Also what make a Garmin better, is that you can do a screen capture of the GPS to the PC.

you dont make my choice any easier...LOL

vista or meridian gold....hehehe

Originally posted by The Cooker:

icon_confused.gif

A which do you use question would be better...

The interesting thing is that there have been 244 views of this post and less than thirty votes. I guess the reason is my bad question causing apathy icon_smile.gif , or votes aren't getting recorded.

Or...

There may be a bunch of folks like me that are still scratching their heads about which unit should be their first! Interesting to see what everybody else is using.

I have a yellow eTrex, and a Merigold. I like them both for different features- I use the etrex more often, but the Merigold is far superior at holding lock on sattelites in the woods. The basemap saved me from being totally lost in the middle of the night recently when I struck out after a cache at 9:30 at night in an unfamiliar area. I carry the little yellow one if briarbusting is anticipated. I don't take both at once anymore- that was totally confusing icon_confused.gif !

JoeyBob

I bought the Magellen Gold and Mapsend S&D. I returned it a week later and bought the Garmin Legend and Mapsource Metro, because the Mapsend S&D maps were way off and the POI were off even further. With Mapsource the streets were very close to being correct. The POI are still a little off, but much closer to the right place.

Dave

Magellan is the only GPS in this house so far. A 315 and a Maridian. I would like to try one (Garmin) that has an external antenna, so I can pot the antenna on a pole, or on my hat, on the roof of my car, so I dont have to have the "UNIT" in sight of the sats. I would like to free up

my hands for other things.

If Magellan made a Meri-Gold with an external antenna, I would more then likely get it.

"My gps say's it RIGHT HERE".

http://www.geogadgets.com

1240 plus miles and only 8 caches?