Thoughts on real good topo software?

Gimpy

I've been researching older threads on this subject, but would like some up to date ideas. The software MUST be compatable with Windoze XP Professional. I just picked up DeLorme Topo USA 4.0. I already have their Topo 3.0, & not sure this enough of an upgrade to justify the cost. Have been looking at National Geographic Whole State series & Maptech Terrain Navigator series. I already have all the Mapsource stuff for loading into my Garmins, but would like the most up to date & best quality topo software for viewing & printing out maps. In past threads, NG & Maptech have been discussed, but in the literature I've gotten on both, XP is not included in the compatability listings. Anybody have either software loaded on an XP system & what are your thoughts on the quality of the product. Thanks. icon_wink.gif

1774_600.jpg

Hello,

Re: XP compatibility

One thing to keep in mind is that XP incompatibility often times means that a small pieced of software known as a "driver" was not available when XP came out. So in most cases supposed XP incompatibility is a temporary situation, and as soon as the "driver" is completed, the product in question will then run under XP.

The problem is that the product literature is lacking and not always updated as soon as the XP "driver" becomes available. Your best bet is to contact the product's sales and inquire about XP compatibility. In the worst case scenario you will need to simply download the "driver" from the product website, and install it on your XP system.

This advice and information is probably old, especially with XP owners who discover what is going on with their XP system rather quickly.

Bruce