Problem uploading waypoints via GPX file

tt

Hi, I have a MeriPlat V4.02 and I'm trying to upload the "Pocket Query" gpx file to my unit. I'm using ExpertGPS V.1.2 (yes I checked the About box) and I've tried V.1.2.1b1 (both were NEW installations not upgrades). Here is what is happening: I load the file "5575.gpx" (it has 96 waypoints defined) into ExpertGPS, then do the "Send All data to GPS" via the button on the toolbar. I get this error "No data was received from the GPS! (Error #22)". Strange because if I do a "Display GPS Information" ExpertGPS reads from my unit and displays the correct info. Also I can download the waypoints from the unit into ExpertGPS. I tried lowering the baud rate from 115200 to 9600 to 4800 with the same results. I then did a complete clear of the memory and re-init and retried with the same results. If I load the gpx file then download the unit's waypoints the attemp to upload the waypoints the 1st few waypoints upload (the ones that came from the unit) but the 1st waypoint from the gpx file causes the above error. Any Clues???

Thanks, TT

I just had that problem. I have a SporTrak Map and tried uploading using EasyGPS 1.2.1. It wouldn't go. I tried everything I could think of.

Then I saved the file from 1.2.1 as a .LOC and then tried it with EasyGPS 1.1.9 and it worked without a hitch.

I wouldn't have figured they'd do anything to the upload part of the program.

~shrug~

CR

72057_2000.gif

icon_eek.gif I fixed the problem as the GPX file uses a symbol not recognize by my MeriPlat.

Changed Geocache to Fixed Nav Aid throughout the file. Then the upload went fine!

Use of a "nonstandard" symbol is what is screwing up the download. Please this should be addressed as I would think that a large number of users have Magellan products and will face the same problem. When the "GPX" file is created by Groundspeak an option to use only standard symbols should be added.

TT

GPX Spinner gives you the ability to modify the symbols in the GPX file with ease. Not only can you change the standard 'Geocache' symbol, but you can change it to a different symbol for each type of cache.

In addition, Spinner will change the waypoint name to include the cache name, ID, difficulty, terrain, or any combination.

GPX Spinner puts a spin on your GPX files like you only dreamed of.

Lil Devil lildevil.gif

"A fix will be available by Friday on the beta.asp page of the product webpage."

Is there a fix for GPX/GPS Exchange files too? I still get the error "No data was received from the GPS! (Error #22)" using either EasyGPS or ExpertGPS.

"We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done." Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

migo_sig_logo.jpg

[This message was edited by Time Travelers on January 04, 2003 at 03:04 PM.]

Thanks. I (thought) icon_rolleyes.gif I downloaded the updated program for EasyGPS (it's in a blackhole in my computer somewhere...) after I went back to look I saw I was still using the prior version icon_redface.gif O.K., so in the mean time I can use EasyGPS to download the GPX files (hope it doesn't croak going back and forth between the two), now I just need to figure out how to get those symbols on my GPS (camera, deer, stadium...)

Linda

"We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done." Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

migo_sig_logo.jpg

I can now download waypoints from a GPX file through ExpertGPS to my Magellan without crashing.

Unfortunately it looks like the differences in the Magellan icon set do not allow us to take advantage of the variety of icons generated in Spinner (apparently a Garmin set). What ends up in my meriplat is a set of default icons. It will do, but how ya gonna keep 'em back on the farm after they've seen Par-ree?

Don't get even - get odd

quote:
Originally posted by embra:

Unfortunately it looks like the differences in the Magellan icon set do not allow us to take advantage of the variety of icons generated in Spinner (apparently a Garmin set). What ends up in my meriplat is a set of default icons.

You can use GPX Spinner to change the icons to something that the Magellan recognizes. I may be too simple here, but all my unfound caches are "Medium City" and all my found caches are "Small City." I differentiate between cache types by using the two-letter code system (VC or virtual, GC for traditional, etc.). I use EasyGPS download, sort, and delete all of the "old" Medium City icons, load in the new spun GPX file from Spinner. I clear the GPS memory, then upload the new set of geocaches along with my old set of "other" waypoints.

I don't know, but I imagine that this will work with the rest of the list of icons as well. Make the icon type on the GPX Spinner page match the text of icon page (i.e., Default, Box, Aerial, etc.).

-Craig/TeamCNJC

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took off through the thorns, chest high, ...

On my MAP 330 I use the following:

BM = Benchmark = Large City

TC = Traditional Geocache = Medium City

VC = Virtual Cache = Tourist Info (Camera)

MC = Micro Cache = Sightseeing (Binoculars)

UC = Unknown Cache = Obstruction (Skull & Crossbones)

EC = Event Cache = Aerial (Balloon)

TB = Travel Bug = Zoo (Horse)

That leaves Default for Waypoints placed on the fly.