Help, my Meriplat won't format my card

Just received my new Meridian Platinum,128mb card,Mapsend Streets and case. I'm ready to start geocaching!

Tried to upload a reagion from Mapsend but it won't work. Baud rate is 9600 on both, the software finds the GPSr on com1 but it won't connect.

I've tried a half dozen times to format the 128mb card to no avail. Is 128 too much? If so, why would offroute.com sell them together?

Am I doing something wrong?

Kurt

128MB is ok. I'm using it. But I'm not sure the format feature via the GPS receiver works very well. You'd be better off with an SD card reader and format FAT16.

As for communication issues, you will need to check your BIOS to ensure your Ports are set to Auto or something similar. If you don't have an automatic setting, make sure your setting is at a speed that is equal to or greater than your GPS receiver's setting. If that is ok, then go to your Device Manager and check the port setting there for the Com port you are hooked into (typically COM 1), and ensure the port speed is set to a speed that is equal to or higher than the GPS receiver's setting. How you get to the Device Manager depends a lot on which OS you have.

Cheers!

TL

Yes, it's a known issue with SD Card formatting...

My Meridian Yellow can't format the card too.

All works (from the Menu side), but the files on the SD Card are still on the Card after "format" is done...

I format my card using PC (attention: M$ Win XP don't format FAT 16 - you must use older versions of MustDie). I think, the card I/O controler of Meridian Mainboard don't works properly. But I still love my Unit and don't worry much about this icon_smile.gif

5.12 up and running on my MeriGold...

The Pos-Dest and Origin-Dest lines are different - kinda shaded pattern lines, rather than solid lines.

I loaded 5.12 as firmware.hex on my working SD card to try an SD update, rather than a serial update, and 4.06 recognized the new firmware, asked me if I wanted to update, and flawlessly updated to 5.12. Now I'm impressed.

Goto function is different - now you get a list with the regions at the top, then user waypoint, then cities, etc. If you have "nearest to" selected at the bottom, you get another menu asking for position, cities, address, or other. Personally, I liked the old way better.

MyMeridian doesn't work with this version of the firmware.

I'll keep digging and report back on any more changes that I notice.

-Craig/TeamCNJC

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took off through the thorns, chest high, ...

One more thing...

On the waypoint edit screen, there's now a field for "waypoint visible." Selecting that field will enable you to hide a waypoint on the map, while still being able to put it into a route or goto.

-Craig/TeamCNJC

I agree that the new waypoint search feature is kind of a pain in the butt.

The position to got line seems to be hatched when there is not lock, other wise it seems the same. The route lines seem to be kind of odd (in a bad way).

There is also a new customized field "total distance' with out trying it out it seems to list the total distance from where you are to the end of a route. I will experiment later to see if the distance starts to decline once you make it past the first couple of points.

I don't see where the visibility function has effect on the route, but you can make a waypoint disappear from the maps screen with it (you have to save before you exit).

There is an alarm for proximity points, but I have yet to figure out how to set the alarms (I know how to do it on my 315).

Searching for an address is easier now, it no longer lists the name of the streets plus some ranges (any one else hated trying to find the right address range?). It now just lists the street and the town.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

[This message was edited by phantom4099 on October 10, 2003 at 01:05 PM.]

[This message was edited by phantom4099 on October 10, 2003 at 01:33 PM.]

I see one deal killer for me, for some reason the unit feels that it has to switch to 'course up" mode, and it woun't switch back to north up, or track up. It seems to only happen when a proximity alarm goes off. Any one have an idea how this would diffrent from the arrival alarm if you can't select a bunch of waypoints (other than switching to cource up, and displaying the comments below)?

Another bug is the waypoints in a route will remain visible after a shut down and a restard and a new goto is activated (I have it so waypoints are not visible).

edit: I think I found another bug, it appears when ever a route or goto is active and you try to zoom in past the 100ft mark. It seems to cause a offset every time you press the "zoom in" key.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

[This message was edited by phantom4099 on October 10, 2003 at 01:31 PM.]

[This message was edited by phantom4099 on October 10, 2003 at 05:19 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by mix_:

Yes, it's a known issue with SD Card formatting...

My Meridian Yellow can't format the card too.

All works (from the Menu side), but the files on the SD Card are still on the Card after "format" is done...

I format my card using PC (attention: M$ Win XP don't format FAT 16 - you must use older versions of MustDie). I think, the card I/O controler of Meridian Mainboard don't works properly. But I still love my Unit and don't worry much about this icon_smile.gif

Actually, WinXP will format FAT16. It is identified as FAT vs. FAT32. Floppy disks can only use the FAT format, so it has to remain as an available format to use. If you don't see it on the windows formatting applet, then you will need to go to the command window and format it by command line. At the Start, select Run... type in cmd and press Enter/OK.

Type format /? for help in the format command structure.

Cheers!

TL

quote:
Originally posted by Insp Gadget:

"MyMeridian doesn't work with this version of the firmware."

Can you explain this comment? Do you mean that this firmware doesn't work at all with your Meridian, in which case I wonder how you were getting your information, or is "MyMeridian" some kind of program that you can use on the GPS?

MyMeridian allows you to doctor the lawyer screen so you can put your ownership info on it. I never got it to work on FWv4.02, but then, I didn't try too hard.

Cheers!

TL

The program MyMeridian can be found at the other geocaching site, or on the Yahoo Meridian group. It replaces the text of the lawyer screen with personalized information (name, address, email, "reward if found"). It's an extra insurance policy should I lose my GPSr. I had it working with 3.12, 4.02, and 4.06, but it won't locate the text correctly in 5.12.

The program produces a personalized edition of the firmware, which you would have to upload to the device. It's not for the faint of heart.

-Craig/TeamCNJC

Regarding the MyMeridian. You have to change the MyMeridan Hex file to recognize the 5.12 firmware. I had to change my hex from:

[Meridian]

FactoryFilename=C:Unzippedmgold406mgold406.hex

PersonalizedFilename=C:Unzippedmgold406personal.hex

EnglishTitle=WARNING!

English=All data is

to

[Meridian]

FactoryFilename=C:Unzippedmgold406mgold512.hex

PersonalizedFilename=C:Unzippedmgold406personal.hex

EnglishTitle=WARNING!

English=All data is provided

Note the change I had to make is in BOLD print. After I made the change to the hex file, MyMeridian worked as it usually does. Remember, follow directions exactally!

NOTE: Your file location may be in a different place than mine. I just put the 512 hex file in my old 406 folder where MyMeridan was located.

[This message was edited by Henny Pa on October 14, 2003 at 05:50 AM.]

That's the ticket! icon_smile.gif I'm now the proud owner of a personalized MeriGold with firmware version 5.12. I actually skipped a few steps, and went straight to the SD card (PersonalizedFilename=E:firmware.hex), then used hidden menu 88 to install this version over the existing 5.12.

Henny Pa, do you want to take care of updating the ini file on the Yahoo section? If not, I'll do it.

-Craig/TeamCNJC