eTrex upgrade / track memory bug?

Guest Rubbertoe

Guest Rubbertoe

http://www.garmin.com/products/etrex/download.html

"prevents excessive number of trackpoints from being recorded"

What exactly does this mean? Does anyone have any experience with filling up your eTrex track data? Does it just overwrite from the beginning of the file, or does it freeze up or what?

Just wondering what this bugfix would do, and if it's something I really need to do.

Guest Iron Chef

quote:
Originally posted by Rubbertoe:

What exactly does this mean? Does anyone have any experience with filling up your eTrex track data? Does it just overwrite from the beginning of the file, or does it freeze up or what?

Just wondering what this bugfix would do, and if it's something I really need to do.

Maybe Garmin had a problem with the tracklog eating up more memory than it was supposed to. Who knows. You can set the tracklog to stop after it's memory has been filled or you can set it to begin rewriting at the beginning if you choose so. The options are in the Track Log menu on the corresponding page (at least for the Etrex Venture, i can't speak for other units).

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!

Guest Iron Chef

quote:
Originally posted by Reservoir Dog:

My impression is when it reaches the maximum number of points possible it prevents the deletion of the earlier ones???

You can turn that off with some units so that once it fills up keeps going and overwrites data. But you'll have to tinker to see if your unit wants to play.

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!

[This message has been edited by Iron Chef (edited 30 September 2001).]