Best Software for Printing Topo Maps

Hi All,

I have searched the forums for info on topo software and am looking for opnions.

Between Topo USA 4.0 and National Geographic Topo,

which is better at usable navigation maps. I am concerned about resolution on the maps (Print size) as well as trustworthy information to navigate by.

Any opnions or info will be greatly appreciated.

L. Smith

Jackson, MS

I'm here because I'm not all there

I have Delorme's Topo USA V1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 This year I purchased a new meridian Platinum or I might have 4.0 by now. My main reason for the upgrade to V3.0 was a new computer with DVD ROM this puts all 50 states on one CD and the ability to print mural maps up to 3X3 when pasted together gives about an 20"X 28" map

NG Topo has the 7.5 Quad maps of 1:24,000 so it's expensive and has lots of CD's to cover all the data. For example I have the Northeast covering eight states on 10 CD's at a cost of $90-100. It also has 1:50,000 and 1:100,000 as well as regular overview maps of 1:1,000,000 etc.

Waypoints and routes can be created and can be transferred into the GPS. UTM lines and shaded relief can be added. You can upload tracks from the GPS. Maps can be printed in all kinds of zoom ranges. Elevation profiles for you tracks and route can be shown in various levels of detail. On there web page owners of their software and uploads various waypoints for hikes through national parks and stuff like that so you can download into you computer and GPS.

The sample I did shows the red track line on a 24,000 scaled quad. The maps on the right are zoomed ranges to show relative location. The profile on the bottom right is the overall track. The left detail is the zoomed range I selected between the red lines on the right with the yellow dot the current selected spot. The detail on the left gives distance and grade percentages, which helps pick out those high grades you want to avoid. The blue lines are mile lines but you can select any integer including typical 1,000 meter for UTM. The actual display on the computer screen is very clear but it’s pixilated in the sample due to JPEG reduction over the web.

I'm very pleased with the power of NG Topo. Since I don’t have Delorme I can’t comment on it.

Good luck.

Alan

14514_500.jpg