regular Power Down and Re-init message when using Garmin GPS12 in car

In my car I use a Garmin swivel mount bracket for my GPS12. I have the bracket mounted on top of my dashboard. Problem is that when I use the GPS12 mounted this way, it regularly "loses" the satellites and gives the "Power Down and Re-init" message. I suspect that this is caused by a vibration of the GPS unit which is caused by the vibration of my car.

I wonder if there are more GPS12 users who have noticed this problem with their own GPS12 when using it in their car. Does somebody have an idea as to how to fix this problem? I've already tried positioning the swivel mount in all possible positions. I've tried removing the batteries (hoping the reduced weight would reduce the vibration)and now use a cigarette lighter adapter to power the GPS, but also this didn't help.

Thanks in advance for your help. Wishing you Happy Trails from the Netherlands!

I used my GPS12 both in my car and mounted directly on my bicycle handlebar stem for over a year and did not experience this problem. The bicycle use subjected it to much more vibration than I would expect in any car. I did have problems with the unit shutting off as a result of the batteries losing contact momentarily from vibration, but not the re-init behavior you're seeing.

Another possibility would be electrical interference from something in your car. Is the problem correlated with the operation of any electrical/electronic device in the car? I'd also try moving it around and seeing if it only happens in certain locations.

Has it been doing this all the time? Some newer cars have a metallic film in their windshields which blocks GPS signals. Your GPS could be getting an intermittent lock from signals coming through the side windows and then losing it again when you change directions.

[This message was edited by PDOP's on March 16, 2002 at 04:02 PM.]