WAAS Up or Down?

Guest Kerry

WAAS supposedly had issues on Sept 14th and nothing has been updated on that status since then which is not normal.

Has anybody received WAAS corrections since that date?

Cheers, Kerry.

Guest GeoMullen

Tuesday, my accuracy was something like 150 feet, when it should have been 24 or so feet. Since then, everything has been normal, so I think it maybe one day thing, or just a couple of hours.

Guest Point2Point

I am in the Pittsburgh area and have been able to get WAAS reception. I was just outside messing around and was getting reception from 10 satellites plus WAAS #35 and my Vista was reading 7 feet accuracy. Amazing.

However, WAAS did not stay locked very well because the satellite was just below my 45 degree horizon. When I faced the Vista at the satellite, it was able to hold a signal fairly well. While moving around it dropped in and out. Not sure if that satellite gets any closer to me or if there is better reception at other times of day, still experimenting.

GPS units with external antenna probably do better at picking up the WAAS signal.

Point2Point, that's one of the advantages of an external antenna especially with WAAS.

While you were moving around your body is enough to interfere with signal reception. With a handheld it's always generally improved reception (no Sats over the poles anyway) if one faced the equator. This is probably even more important with WAAS as the WAAS Sats (2 of them) are also over the equator and geo-stationary.

Cheers, Kerry.

Here on the East Coast (NC) I have not had any problem picking up WAAS with my GPSMAP 76. Yesterday I received my external antenna (Ebay, $35.00) and had immediate signal boost and WAAS on all "birds" that I was receiving (10 or 11). No complaints here.

Guest martinp13

Since no one else has done it, I'll say it:

WAASup!!!!!

Sorry. It had to be done. icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

> Martin

Magellan 330 (1.56/WAAS enabled!)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo !

Guest martinp13

Since no one else has done it, I'll say it:

WAASup!!!!!

Sorry. It had to be done. icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

> Martin

Magellan 330 (1.56/WAAS enabled!)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo !