Garmin, Magellan, Lowrance

Used a Garmin 45 for several years..... then, when buying a new GPS specifically for Geo-caching, I studied everything I could get my hands on. One of the studies was about the sensitivity and accuracy of the quadrifilliar antenna. I'm also a hunter that goes into the deep woods of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I liked the idea of a sensitive antenna. Then I looked at the forum called Garage sale....the vast majority of GPS units there are e-trex models. Finally, I looked the units over....the buttons on the etrex are difficult to use....on the sides....the screen is small....etc. I bought a Magellan and love it. Very easy to use.....VERY accurate and sensitive.

If God is your co-pilot, it's time to change seats!!!

http://www.mi-geocaching.org/

I don't know that I'd say I'm loyal to a brand. My first unit back in 95 was a Magellan, and I loved it. Overall, I like the features, software, and especially the accuracy of the Garmin units somewhat better. Being an avid hiker, I prefer the smaller size, ruggedness, and the reception/accuracy/detail of my Legend over the the current Magellan offerings.

For street mapping/navigation, my choice is "other". The combination of one of the newer CF units and PocketPC software are hard to beat, especially for the money.

The first unit I purchased was a Garmin 38 back in 1997 (I think, it may have been 1996).

Anyway, I loved it when I could get a satellite lock which wasn't very often. I almost threw it in the ocean one time but that's another story.

I'm pretty brand conscious when I've had a good experience. Even when a Garmin unit has broken, they've made me happy.

Ducks - Flying, great tasting, geocaches of meat

My first unit was a Trimble, basic unit, equal to a yellow E-trex, but 10 yrs ago and $1000.

Now I use strictly use Garmin, mabe because of how easily I learned the software and units. I own a Vista & Gpsmap 176c, with all the possible accessories too. I feel Garmin has a Good combo with Mapsource programs & the units that use them. Garmin data cards are over priced

that's my only gripe I wish I could pop a cheap 128mb SD chip in my 176c for $25, But Garmin's 128mb data card is $200+!!!!

quote:
Originally posted by STREETSEAL & G.I. Jane:

But Garmin's 128mb data card is $200+!!!!

I agree that this is a major drawback of Garmin's current handheld units. BTW, www.tvnav.com has the 128 MB card for $155 - still at least three times as much as it should be, but at least signifcantly under $200.

I'm still expecting a new version of the GPS V with standard memory cards now that Garmin has the iQue with SD cards and the 2610/2650 with CF.